JEST 2018: Joint Entrance Screening Test
The Science & Engineering Research Board (SERB) (statutory body established through an Act of Parliament) recognizes JEST. Last date for submitting online applications and payments is December 16, 2017. JEST 2018 will be held on Sunday, February 18, 2018.
|Name of Exam||Joint Entrance Screening Test – JEST|
|Organising Body||The Science & Engineering Research Board (SERB)|
|Subjects||Physics & Computer Science|
|Last date to Apply||16th Dec 2017|
|Exam Date||18th Feb 2018|
|Mode of Exam||Online|
|Mode of Application||Online|
|Level of Questions||Post Graduate|
- 1 Eligibility
- 1.1 Physics
- 1.2 Theoretical Computer Science at IMSc
- 1.3 Ph D in Neuroscience at NBRC
- 1.4 Ph D in Computational Biology at IMSc
- 1.5 Integrated M.Sc. / M.Tech – Ph.D Programme (Physics)
- 1.6 Integrated Ph.D Programme in Theoretical Computer Science at IMSc
- 1.7 Integrated M.Tech – Ph.D. Programme at IIA
- 1.8 Integrated Ph.D. Programme at IISER IISER. Thiruvananthapuram.
- 1.9 M. Sc. Programme at HRI.
- 2 Important Dates (Exam Date)
- 3 List of Participating Institutes
- 4 Exam Centers
Eligibility criteria for the various institutes participating in the JESE Exam 2018 for the PhD Courses. Candidates are further advised to visit the official website before applying online.
- Please see the websites/advertisements of the participating institutes for their eligibility criteria in details.
- Listed below are tentative eligibility criteria of admission to M.Sc, Ph.D, and Integrated / M.Sc / M.Tech. – Ph.D programs in the participating institutes.
- M.Sc. in Physics (all participating Institutes).
Additionally, some institutes accept B.E. / B.Tech. / M.Sc. / M.E. / M.Tech. in disciplines of Applied Physics and Mathematics, as listed below.
- M.Sc. in Mathematics / Applied Physics / Applied Mathematics / Optics and Photonics / Instrumentation / Electronics will also be considered at IIA.
- B.E. or B.Tech. will be considered at IISc, IMSc, ICTS-TIFR, IUCAA, JNCASR, NCRA-TIFR, TIFR-TCIS, RRI, IISER Mohali, IISER Pune, IISER Thiruvananthapuram.
- M.Sc. in Physics / Electronics / Astronomy / Applied Mathematics will be cnsidered at IUCAA.
- MSc in Physics, Engineering Physics or Applied Physics will also be considered atIPR.
- M.Sc. in Physics, Chemistry, Applied Mathematics, Biophysics or Biochemistry will be considered at SNBNCBS.
- B.Tech Eng. Phys.will be considered at TIFR.
- M.E./ M.Tech in Applied Physics will be considered at NISER.
Theoretical Computer Science at IMSc
- M.Sc./ M.E. / M.Tech. in Computer Science and related disciplines, and should be interested in the mathematical aspects of computer science.
Ph D in Neuroscience at NBRC
- M.Sc (Physics/ Mathematics), B.E/ B.Tech/ M.C.A in Computer Science
Ph D in Computational Biology at IMSc
- M.Sc./ M.E. / M.Tech. / MCA in any engineering or science discipline, with good mathematical skills and strong interest in biological problems.
Integrated M.Sc. / M.Tech – Ph.D Programme (Physics)
- B. Sc. (Physics / Mathematics) will be considered at SNBNCBS.
- B. Sc. (Physics) will be considered at IMSc.
- B.Sc. (Physics / Mathematics) / B.E. / B.Tech. in Electrical / Instrumentation / Engineering Physics / Electronics and Communications / Computer Science and Engineering / Optics and Photonics will be considered in IIA.
- B.Sc (Physics) or B.E./B. Tech in Engineering Physics , with a minimum of first class marks, will be considered at NISER.
- B.Sc. (Physics) will be considered at IISER-Pune, ICTS-TIFR, NCRA-TIFR, and TIFR-TCIS.
- B. Sc. (Physics / Mathematics) / B.E. / B.Tec. will be considered for Integrated M.Sc – PhD at Bose Institute.
Integrated Ph.D Programme in Theoretical Computer Science at IMSc
- B.Sc./B.E./B.Tech./M.C.A. in Computer Science or related disciplines and should be interested in the mathematical aspects of computer science.
Integrated M.Tech – Ph.D. Programme at IIA
- M.Sc. (Physics / Applied Physics) / Post-B.Sc. (Hons) in Optics and Optoelectronics / Radio Physics and Electronics.
Integrated Ph.D. Programme at IISER IISER. Thiruvananthapuram.
- B. Sc. (Physics) or B.E. / B. Tech. in any discipline.
M. Sc. Programme at HRI.
- B. Sc. (Physics) or B.E./B.Tech. degree in any discipline
- HRI is starting a new M.Sc. programme in Physics from 2017. The Integrated Ph.D. programme in Physics at HRI is discontinued from 2017.
Important Dates (Exam Date)
Various Important Dates for JEST 2018: Joint Entrance Screening Test
|Start of Application Form||15th Nov 2017|
|Last Date to Apply Online for JEST||15th Dec 2017|
|Date of Exam||18th February 2018|
List of Participating Institutes
List of Institutes taking admission on the basis of the performance in JEST 2018 (Joint Entrance Screening Test 2018 for PhD).
- Aryabhatta Research Institute of Observational Sciences, Nainital
- Bose Institute, Kolkata
- Homi Bhabha National Institute, Mumbai
- Harish-Chandra Research Institute, Allahabad
- International centre for theoretical sciences (TIFR), Bangalore
- Indira Gandhi Centre for Atomic Research, Kalpakkam
- Indian Institute of Astrophysics, Bangalore
- Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore
- Indian Institute of Science Education and Research Bhopal
- Indian Institute of Science Education and Research Kolkata
- Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Mohali
- Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Pune
- Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Thiruvananthapuram
- IIST Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology, Thiruvananthapuram
- The Institute of Mathematical Sciences, Chennai
- Institute of Physics, Bhubaneswar
- Institute for Plasma Research, Gandhinagar
- Inter-University Centre for Astronomy and Astrophysics, Pune
- Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research, Bangalore
- National Brain Research Centre, Manesar
- National Centre for Radio Astrophysics, TIFR, Pune
- National Institute of Science Education and Research, Bhubaneswar
- Physical Research Laboratory, Ahmedabad
- Raja Ramanna Centre for Advanced Technology, Indore
- Raman Research Institute, Bangalore
- Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics, Kolkata
- Satyendra Nath Bose National Centre for Basic Sciences, Kolkata
- TIFR Centre for Interdisciplinary Sciences, Hyderabad
- Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Mumbai
- UGC-DAE Consortium for Scientific Research, Indore
- Variable Energy Cyclotron Centre, Kolkata
List of Exam centers for the JEST 2018 Exam. Candidates can choose the centers of their own choice. Below we have provided the list of JEST 2018 Exam Centers.
- Mangalore (Centre is subject availability. Second option will be allotted if centre is not available)