ExamCompetition Forum Question Papers Ask A Question Mock Test Learn & Earn Sign Up Login Menu

0 vote

Which of the following phrases (I), (II), and (III) given below each sentence should replace the phrase printed in bold letters to make the sentence grammatically correct? Choose the best option among the five given alternatives that reflect the correct use of phrase in the context of the grammatically correct sentence. If the sentence is correct as it is, mark (e) i.e., ?No correction required? as the answer.

Asked on by | Votes 0 | Views: 97 | Tags: ibps     | ibps po     | ibps po 2017     | english comprehension     | Add Bounty

Which of the following phrases (I), (II), and (III) given below each sentence should replace the phrase printed in bold letters to make the sentence grammatically correct? Choose the best option among the five given alternatives that reflect the correct use of phrase in the context of the grammatically correct sentence. If the sentence is correct as it is, mark (e) i.e., ?No correction required? as the answer.

At the time of the American Revolution most of the New World still belong to Spain and Portugal, whose captains and conquerors had been the first to come to its shores.
I. was still in possession of
II. yet belonged to
III. still belonged to
1). Only I is correct
2). Only III is correct
3). Only I and III are correct
4). Only I and II are correct

IBPS Books

Share on Facebook      Share on Whatsapp       Share on Twitter

2 answers

2 vote
Answered by on | Votes 2 |
Solution

The sentence is in past tense. Hence, it should be ‘belonged’ instead of ‘belong’. Hence, III is correct. I also conveys the same meaning without making the sentence grammatically incorrect. Hence, I and III are correct. II is wrong. Thus, option C is the correct answer.

Join Telegram Group

3 vote
Answered by on | Votes 3 |
Solution

The sentence is in past tense. Hence, it should be ‘belonged’ instead of ‘belong’. Hence, III is correct. I also conveys the same meaning without making the sentence grammatically incorrect. Hence, I and III are correct. II is wrong. Thus, option C is the correct answer.

Answer This Question

Name:
Email:
Answer :
Sum of (1+1)
Submit:

Other Questions

1. A passage is given with 5 questions following it. Read the passage carefully and choose the best answer to each question out of the five alternatives and click the button corresponding to it. The Gettysburg Address is a speech by U.S. President Abraham Lincoln, one of the b

2. Find out which part of a sentence has an error.

(A) Nobody can deny /(B) that Gandhi's ideas /(C) are differ than /(D) Lenin 's. /(E) No Error.

3. In the following sentence a part of the sentence has been underlined. Below are given alternatives to the underlined part, which might improve the sentence.Choose the correct alternative. In case no improvement is needed, choose option 5. Although he is punctual but he came late that day and was not excused. A. he was being B. he came C. he has been

4. In the following question, out of the four alternatives, select the word opposite in meaning to the word given. Jealousy

5. Select the phrase/connector from the given options which can be used in the beginning (to start the sentence) to form a single sentence from the sentences given below, implying the same meaning as expressed in the statement sentences. Among the most exciting discoveries in recent years has been in

6. The noun form of the adjective “sharp” is

7. What is the substitute of - A person without training or experience in a skill or subject .

8. In this question, a part of the sentence is given in bold. Below are given alternatives to the bold part at 1, 2 and 3 which may improve the sentence.Choose the correct alternative. In case no improvement is needed your answer is (4).There is no alternate offered to us.

9. The following question consists of a sentence(s) with one blank only. You are given six words as answer choices and from the six choices you have to pick up two correct answers, either of which will make the sentence meaningfully complete. The majority of newspapers _________ a range of right-wing attitudes. A. Abandon B. Purvey C. Accept D. Follow E. Promote F. Discard

10. Which of the phrases a, b, c and d. given below should replace the phrase given in bold in each of the following sentences to make the sentence grammatically meaningful and correct. If the sentence is correct as it is and ?No correction is required?, mark 'e' as the answer.