ExamCompetition Forum Question Papers Ask A Question Mock Test Learn & Earn Sign Up Login Menu

0 vote

Which of the following phrases (I), (II), and (III) given below each sentence should replace the phrase printed in bold letters to make the sentence grammatically correct? Choose the best option among the five given alternatives that reflect the correct use of phrase in the context of the grammatically correct sentence. If the sentence is correct as it is, mark (e) i.e., ?No correction required? as the answer.

Asked on by | Votes 0 | Views: 48 | Tags: ibps     | ibps po     | ibps po 2017     | english comprehension     | Add Bounty

Which of the following phrases (I), (II), and (III) given below each sentence should replace the phrase printed in bold letters to make the sentence grammatically correct? Choose the best option among the five given alternatives that reflect the correct use of phrase in the context of the grammatically correct sentence. If the sentence is correct as it is, mark (e) i.e., ?No correction required? as the answer.

Many centuries of European history have been marked by war almost ceaseless between France and England when these two states first confronted each other in America.
I. had been marked
II. has been marked
III. is being marked
1). Only I is correct
2). Only II is correct
3). Only I and III are correct
4). Both I and II are correct

IBPS Books

Share on Facebook      Share on Whatsapp       Share on Twitter

2 answers

0 vote
Answered by on | Votes 0 |
Solution

The sentence is talking about an event from the past. Hence, ‘had’ should be used in place of ‘have’. Thus, I is correct. Both II and III are in present tense and hence can be ruled out easily. Hence, only I is correct replacement for the given phrase. Thus, option A is the correct answer.

Join Telegram Group

2 vote
Answered by on | Votes 2 |
Solution

The sentence is talking about an event from the past. Hence, ‘had’ should be used in place of ‘have’. Thus, I is correct. Both II and III are in present tense and hence can be ruled out easily. Hence, only I is correct replacement for the given phrase. Thus, option A is the correct answer.

Answer This Question

Name:
Email:
Answer :
Sum of (2+3)
Submit:

Other Questions

1. Find out which part of a sentence has an error.In India, hill stations (1)/ usually have (2)/ beautiful sceneries. (3)/ No error (4).

2. Out of the four alternatives, choose the one which can be substituted for the given words/sentences and click the button corresponding to it.An abattoir is _____ .

3. Which of the phrases (a),(b),(c) and (d) given below should replace the phrase given in bold in the following sentence to make the sentence grammatically meaningful and correct If the sentence is correct as it is and ?No correction is required? mark (e) as the answer

4. In the following question, a word has been given. Choose the sentence(s) in which it is used correctly and if all the sentences are correct then choose Option 5. Colloquial (A) Since I am from a different country, I have a difficult time understanding the colloquial language in this country. (B) Because a job interview is such a serious event, one should not speak to the interviewer in a colloquial tone. (C) Both the parties had colloquial relations. 

5. to move heaven and earth

6. In the following question, a sentence has been given in Direct/Indirect speech. Out of the four alternatives suggested, select the one which best expresses the same sentence in Indirect/Direct speech. The professor told the class, “I will give you a test on Friday.”

7. In the following question, out of the four alternatives, select the alternative which best expresses the meaning of the idiom/phrase.to drink like a fish

8. In the following question, out of the given four alternatives, select the one which best expresses the meaning of the given word.  Ruse 

9. Select the antonym of to condemn

10. In the following questions , groups of four words are given. In each group, one word is wrongly spelt . Find the misspelt word .