ExamCompetition Forum Question Papers Ask A Question Mock Test Learn & Earn Sign Up Login Menu

0 vote

Improve the bracketed part of the sentence. I plan to get started (as soon as I could).

Asked on by | Votes 0 | Views: 37 | Tags: phrase replacement grammar     | english comprehension     | Add Bounty

Improve the bracketed part of the sentence.

I plan to get started (as soon as I could).

1). As soon as I can
2). As soon as I may
3). As soon as you could
4). No improvement

Share on Facebook      Share on Whatsapp       Share on Twitter

1 answers

1 vote
Answered by on | Votes 1 |

The sentence uses the verb ‘could’, which is incorrect.

The 2nd option is incorrect because the word ‘may’ changes the meaning of the sentence.

The sentence is trying to convey that the first person plans to get started as soon as he can, but in the 3rd option the first person has changed to second person, which is incorrect.

The verb ‘could’ is the past tense of ‘can’. Here in this sentence, we need to use the present tense ‘can’.

Therefore, the correct answer is option 1.

Improved sentence – I plan to get started as soon as I can.

Join Telegram Group

Answer This Question

Name:
Email:
Answer :
Sum of (2+2)
Submit:

Other Questions

1. In the following question, the sentence is given with blank to be filled in with an appropriate word. Select the correct alternative out of the four and indicate it by selecting the appropriate option.  Are you really desirous _______ visiting Canada?

2. In the following question, out of the four alternatives, select the alternative which best expresses the meaning of the idiom/Phrase. Will-o-the wisp

3. Instructions: In the following passage there are blanks, each of which has been numbered. These numbers are printed below the passage and against each, five words are suggested, one of which fits the blank appropriately. Find out the appropriate word in each case.President Barack Obama?s recent stat

4. Which of the phrases (A), (B), (C), and (D) given below should replace the phrase given in ??bold?? in the following sentence to make the sentence grammatically correct. If the sentence is correct as it is and no correction is required, mark (E) as the answer.

5. In the following question, out of the four alternatives, select the word similar in meaning to the word given. Perspicacious

6. (1) An electrical circuit(Q) of wires(P) which is(R) designed to(S) is a circle(6) carry electricity .

7. Read the following story carefully and answer the questions given. Certain words/phrases have been given in bold to help you locate them while answering some of the questions.Once there was a king who had been trying really hard to capture an elephant, but that prize had proved elusive. All the hunt

8. A sentence has been given in Active/Passive voice. Out of the four given alternatives, select the one which best expresses the same sentence in Passive/Active voice. An emergency landing was made by the plane due to a faulty engine.

9. The work was ............ by the rains.

10. Some parts of the sentence have errors and some are correct. Find out which part has an error and mark that part as your answer. If there are no errors, mark ‘No error’ as your answer. Today, we will be focused on the downtrodden in this meeting.