ExamCompetition Forum Question Papers Ask A Question Mock Test Learn & Earn Sign Up Login Menu

0 vote

Read the passage given below and then answer the questions given below the passage. The term alchemy refers to a number of diverse practices around the world. Some are largely chemical, although they often also have at least a philosophical component. Some forms, particularly intellectual Western a

Asked on by | Votes 0 | Views: 23 | Tags: reading comprehension     | english comprehension     | Add Bounty

Read the passage given below and then answer the questions given below the passage.

The term alchemy refers to a number of diverse practices around the world. Some are largely chemical, although they often also have at least a philosophical component. Some forms, particularly intellectual Western alchemy, also have a strong theological component. Western alchemy is generally considered a part of occultism because it seeks information beyond what is immediately obvious.

Among intellectuals, alchemy was primarily a spiritual pursuit. Stories of such things as transforming lead into gold were meant as metaphors, not literal pursuit, although some alchemists probably pursued both, believing that understanding how to transform actual lead into the gold would give them the knowledge to transform a gross spirit into a refined, enlightened one more in tune with the divine world. This understanding of alchemy was heavily influenced by Hermeticism. Hermeticism is the branch of alchemy influenced by Hermes Trismegistus.

There were also charlatans who promised nothing more than a get-rich-quick scheme. For a fee, they would theoretically transform lead into gold, but in reality, would skip town before they could be called upon to deliver.

The most well-known goal of the alchemists is the transmutation of lead into gold. ​The element of lead was seen as the basest of the metals, as it was dull, ugly, easy to come by, and malleable. In elemental terms, it bore a great amount of earth, the most inferior of the four elements.It was also associated with Saturn, the most negative of the planets, which represented things like depression and general sluggishness.

Gold, on the other hand, was considered the most perfect of all the metals. It is difficult to come by. It is pleasing to the eye. It's brilliant color and shine ties it strongly to the Sun, the most positive of the planets, burning with the life-giving, fiery light of God. It is neither overly stubborn (like iron) nor overly malleable. Thus, transforming lead into gold was analogous to transforming the common human soul into something more refined, rare and enlightened.

Which of the following was the primary aim of most alchemists?
1). Turning gold into iron
2). Turning silver into gold
3). Turning lead into gold
4). Turning iron ore into gold

Share on Facebook      Share on Whatsapp       Share on Twitter

1 answers

1 vote
Answered by on | Votes 1 |
The passage states that the primary aim of most alchemists was turning lead into gold. Therefore, the correct answer is option 3.

Join Telegram Group

Answer This Question

Name:
Email:
Answer :
Sum of (5+5)
Submit:

Other Questions

1. Improve the bracketed part of the sentence.If I (just had) the money I would have bought the car.

2. In the following question, four words are given out of which one word is incorrectly spelt. Find the incorrectly spelt word.

3. Choose the correctly spelled word from the following:

4. Directions: Read the passage and answer the questions given below. Pay attention to the highlighted words. India accounts for about 10% of all expenditure on research and development in Asia and the number of scientific publications has grown by 45% over the five years to 200.However, acc

5. Read the sentence to find out whether there is any error in it. The error, if any, will be in one part of the sentence. The number of that part is the answer. If there is no error, the answer is (5). Ignore errors of punctuation, if any. The administration's position (1)/ is more superior than (2)/ the one held by (3)/ the government. (4)/ No error  (5)

6. In the following question, some part of the sentence may have errors. Find out which part of the sentence has an error and select the appropriate option. If a sentence is free from error, select 'No Error'.At the party(A)/Rohit introduced me to his friend(B)/who is radio jockey.(C)/No error(D)

7. Read each sentence to find out whether there is any grammatical error in it. The error, if any, will ben one part of the sentence. The number of that part is the answer. If there is ?No error?, the answer is e:. (Ignore the errors of punctuation, if any)

8. The following question consists of a sentence with one blank only. You are given six words as answer choices, you have to pick up two correct answers, either of which will make the sentence meaningfully complete.  They began to ______ against their coach, but he gave them fair words. A. Mutter B. Stagger C. Murmur D. Stammer E. Stutter F. Utter

9. In the following question, sentence given with blank is to be filled in with an appropriate word. Select the correct alternative out of the four and indicate it by selecting the appropriate option.My parents will ____________ my car if I get another speeding ticket.

10. In the question given below, the sentence has been divided into 4 parts. Determine which parts are error-less and select the corresponding option.  The girl whom I was looking for, (A)/ had forgotten her phone at the cafe. (B)/ She must be extremely worried right now. (C)/ I should try calling her emergency contacts. (D)/