ExamCompetition Forum Question Papers Ask A Question Mock Test Learn & Earn Sign Up Login Menu

0 vote

In the following question two equations are given in variables x and y. You have to solve these equations and determine relation between x and y. I. 5x2 – 16x + 11 = 0 II. 5y2 – 3y – 2 = 0

Asked on by | Votes 0 | Views: 38 | Tags: algebra     | mix     | Add Bounty

In the following question two equations are given in variables x and y. You have to solve these equations and determine relation between x and y.

I. 5x2 – 16x + 11 = 0

II. 5y2 – 3y – 2 = 0
1). x > y
2). x < y
3). x ≥ y
4). x ≤ y

Share on Facebook      Share on Whatsapp       Share on Twitter

1 answers

1 vote
Answered by on | Votes 1 |

I. 5x2 – 16x + 11 = 0

⇒ 5x2 – 5x - 11x + 11 = 0

⇒ 5x(x – 1) – 11(x – 1) = 0

⇒ (5x – 11) (x – 1) = 0

Then, x = $(\; + \;\frac{{11}}{5})$ =  + 2.2 or x = + 1

II. 5y2 – 3y – 2 = 0

⇒ 5y2 – 5y + 2y – 2 = 0

⇒ 5y(y - 1) + 2(y - 1) = 0

⇒ (5y + 2)(y – 1) = 0

Then, y =$(\; - \;\frac{2}{5})$ or y =  + 1

So, when x = + 2.2, x > y for y = - 0.4 and x > y for y = + 1

And when x = + 1, x > y for y = - 0.4 and x = y for y = + 1

∴ So, we can observe that x ≥ y

Join Telegram Group

Answer This Question

Name:
Email:
Answer :
Sum of (5+1)
Submit:

Other Questions

1. Direction: In the following question, a given question is followed by information in three statements. You have to decide the data in which statement(s) is sufficient to answer the question and mark your answer accordingly. Seven teachers namely viz. A, B, C, D, E, F and G are evaluating papers of

2. The following sentence has a blank space and five words are given below. Click on the words you consider most APPROPRIATE. She had been surprised at how polite and _______ he had been.

3. A and B are two alloys of gold and copper prepared by mixing metals in the ratio 7 : 3 and 7 : 13 respectively. If equal quantities of the alloys are melted to form a third alloy C, the ratio of gold and copper in C will be 

4. When is the National Voters' Day (NVD) observed in India?

5. The following question consists of a sentence with one blank only. You are given six words as answer choices and from the six choices you have to pick up two correct answers, either of which will make the sentence meaningfully complete. The ________ of using wind power to to grind grain between stones to produce flour is ancient and was widely practiced. A. Proficiency B. Prowess C. Felicity D. Technique E. Network F. Procedure

6. In a mixture of sugar and salt, their amount is in ratio 4 : 5. In some amount of this mixture, 4.5 kg of salt is added so that ratio of sugar and salt becomes 2 : 3. How much salt was present in the mixture taken?

7. Given below are two quantities named A & B. Based on the given information, you have to determine the relation between the two quantities. You should use the given data and your knowledge of Mathematics to choose between the possible answers. Quantity A: The average temperature from Monday to T

8. Directions: The given table shows the number of days in which four workers A, B, C and D can alone do three different works X, Y and Z. Study the table and answer the questions that follow. Workers No. of days taken to complete the work X Y

9. Given below is a question and two statements numbered I and II given below it. You have to decide whether the data provided in the statements are sufficient to answer the question. You should use the given data and your knowledge of Mathematics to choose between the possible answers. What percentage of P is Q? I. Difference between P and Q is 29. II. The ratio of P and Q is less than 2.

10. The total employees working in 3 branches of Company PQR are in the ratio of 7 : 5 : 8. The ratio changes to 15 : 11 : 17 when 400 new employees joined in each branch of the office. Find the total employees working in 3 offices together initially?