ExamCompetition Forum Question Papers Ask A Question Mock Test Learn & Earn Sign Up Login Menu

0 vote

Replace the words if needed and choose option 5 if no replacement is required. When Ellen had given up hope her car would start, a doleful encounter with a neighbor got her back on the road I. Hope - bliss II. Doleful - Fortuitous III. Encounter - Adventure

Asked on by | Votes 0 | Views: 24 | Tags: vocabulary     | english comprehension     | Add Bounty

Replace the words if needed and choose option 5 if no replacement is required.

When Ellen had given up hope her car would start, a doleful encounter with a neighbor got her back on the road

I. Hope - bliss

II. Doleful - Fortuitous

III. Encounter - Adventure

1). Only I
2). Only II
3). Both I and II
4). Both II and III

Share on Facebook      Share on Whatsapp       Share on Twitter

1 answers

3 vote
Answered by on | Votes 3 |

The word 'hope' is correct here and needs no change.

The word 'encounter' means 'meet (someone) unexpectedly' and fits here correctly.$

The word 'doleful' means 'sorrowful' and is incorrect here as the sentence mentions something positive. The person was benefited by the encounter thus 'fortuitous' which means 'happening by chance rather than intention' is the correct word here.$

Option 2 is the correct answer.$

Join Telegram Group

Answer This Question

Name:
Email:
Answer :
Sum of (2+1)
Submit:

Other Questions

1. In each of these questions, two sentences I and II are given. Each sentence has a blank in it. Five words (1), (2), (3), (4) and (5) are suggested. Out of these, only one fits at both the places in the context of each sentence. Number of that word is the following.

2. In the following question, out of the four alternatives, select the alternative which will improve the bracketed part of the sentence. In case no improvement is needed, select "no improvement". He (to be) positively rude.

3. What is the correct alternative of - The angry boys were arguing with the Principal since morning.

4. Find out which part of a sentence has an error.A milk (1)/ can provide protein (2)/ for nutritionally balanced diet. (3)/ No error (4).

5. In the following passage there are blanks, each of which has been numbered. These numbers are printed below the passage and against each, five words are suggested, one of which fits the blank appropriately. Find out the appropriate word in each case. Today, twenty?two years after the bank (1), it ha

6. In the following question, out of the five alternatives, select the alternative which is the best substitute of the phrase. To drive or push something forwards.

7. In the following sentence, a part of the sentence is underlined. Below are given alternatives to the underlined part, which may improve the sentence. Choose the correct alternative. In case no improvement is needed, choose the option that indicates 'No improvement'. On behalf of an amicable settlement, we offer you without prejudice Rs. 750 in full settlement of all your claims up-to-date. A. Amongst B. Preparatory to C. With a view to D. Pursuant to

8. The following sentences form a paragraph. The first and the fourth sentence of the paragraph are given. The rest of the sentences are numbered as P, Q, R and S and T. These five parts are not given in their proper order. Read the sentences and choose the alternative that arranges them in correct ord

9. What is the synonym of word .DULCET

10. In the question given below, the sentence is divided into three parts I, II and III. For each part an alternate statement is also given. You have to determine if a part requires correction, and then mark that as your answer. A mode of production refers to the / structure of dialectical between soci