ExamCompetition Forum Question Papers Ask A Question Mock Test Learn & Earn Sign Up Login Menu

0 vote

In the following passage, some of the words have been left out. Read the passage carefully and select the correct answer for the given blank out of the four alternatives. Stress reduction is one of the most ___(1)__reasons people try meditation.One study including over 3,500 adults showed that it _

Asked on by | Votes 0 | Views: 17 | Tags: vocabulary     | english comprehension     | Add Bounty

In the following passage, some of the words have been left out. Read the passage carefully and select the correct answer for the given blank out of the four alternatives.

Stress reduction is one of the most ___(1)__reasons people try meditation.One study including over 3,500 adults showed that it ___(2)__ to its reputation for stress reduction .Normally, mental and physical stress __(3)__ increased levels of the stress hormone cortisol. This produces many of the __(4)__ effects of stress, such as the release __(5)__ inflammation-promoting chemicals called cytokines.

Which of the following fits in the blank labelled(1)?
1). Raucous
2). Conscious
3). Common
4). Tried

Share on Facebook      Share on Whatsapp       Share on Twitter

1 answers

1 vote
Answered by on | Votes 1 |

The meanings of the words are:

raucous=> harsh

conscious=> aware

common=> popular

tried=> attempted

Thus option 3 fits here conveying the meaning that one of the popular reason of people going for meditation is to reduce stress.

Join Telegram Group

Answer This Question

Name:
Email:
Answer :
Sum of (3+3)
Submit:

Other Questions

1. Out of the four alternatives, choose the one which best expresses the meaning of the given word. Promiscuous

2. In this question, a part of the sentence is given in bold. Below are given alternatives to the bold part at 1, 2 and 3 which may improve the sentence.Choose the correct alternative. In case no improvement is needed your answer is (4).It is proposed to construct a bath for males 99 feet long.

3. In the following question, out of the four alternatives, select the alternative which is the best substitute of the phrase. The act of speaking irreverently about sacred things.

4. Find out which part of a sentence has an error.Had I known (A)/ you were visiting me today (B)/ I would meet you at the airport. (C)/ no error (D)

5. Read the following passage carefully and answer the questions given below it. Certain words/phrases have been given in bold to help you locate them while answering some of the questions: In every religion, culture and civilization feeding the poor and hungry is considered one of the most noble deeds

6. The sentences given with blanks are to be filled with an appropriate word(s). Four alternatives are suggested for each question. For each question, choose the correct alternative and click the button corresponding to it.I insisted ________ his leaving the place.

7. In the given passage there are blanks, each of which is numbered. Against each five words are suggested, one of which fits the blank appropriately. Find out the appropriate word in each case. Once in a town of Shimpola, there lived a rich and cunning money lender called Vidushan. He (1) money to poo

8. Choose the correct meaning of the idiom. By the seat of your pants

9. In the following sentence, a part of the sentence is underlined. Below are given alternatives to the underlined part, which may improve the sentence. Choose the correct alternative. In case no improvement is needed, choose the alternative that indicates 'No improvement.' I have never tried to turn to something that is not worth having in my life.  A. to seek after  B. to gather for C. to boil the ocean for 

10. Read the following passage and answer the given questions.After the Second World War, the leaders of the Western world tried to build institutions to prevent the conflicts of the preceding decades from recurring. They wanted to foster both prosperity and interdependence, to 'make war not only unthin