ExamCompetition Forum Question Papers Ask A Question Mock Test Learn & Earn Sign Up Login Menu

0 vote

A sentence has been given in Direct/Indirect speech. Out of the four given alternatives, select the one which best expresses the same sentence in Indirect/Direct speech. You asked me if I had read the article.

Asked on by | Votes 0 | Views: 24 | Tags: direct and indirect speech     | english comprehension     | Add Bounty

A sentence has been given in Direct/Indirect speech. Out of the four given alternatives, select the one which best expresses the same sentence in
Indirect/Direct speech.

You asked me if I had read the article.

1). You said to me, "When did you read the article?"
2). You said to me, “Have you read the article?”
3). You said to me, "Are you going to read the article?"
4). You said to me, "Will you read the article?"

Share on Facebook      Share on Whatsapp       Share on Twitter

1 answers

3 vote
Answered by on | Votes 3 |

The correct answer is option 2.
The given sentence is in Indirect Speech and needs to be converted to Direct Speech.

There are several rules for doing the same:
1. It is important to use the correct tense of the reporting verb (said).
2.  The conjunctions ‘that, to, if, whether’ must be removed.
3. Quotation marks, question marks, exclamation marks and full stop must be inserted wherever necessary.
4. A comma must be inserted before the statement.
5. The order of words must be carefully looked at.
6. Pay attention to the correct conjugation of the verbs in the given statement.
Keeping all the above rules in consideration, the correct form of the sentence in Direct Speech would be:

You said to me, “Have you read the article?”

Join Telegram Group

Answer This Question

Name:
Email:
Answer :
Sum of (2+4)
Submit:

Other Questions

1. A sentence/a part of the sentence is underlined. Four alternatives are given to the underlined part which will improve the sentence. Choose the correct alternative and click the button corresponding to it. In case no improvement is needed, click the button corresponding to 'No improvement'.He is not sure whether she knows to swim.

2. The sentences given with blanks are to be filled with an appropriate word(s). Four alternatives are suggested for each question. For each question, choose the correct alternative and click the button corresponding to it.Sushma has a deep _____ for drunkards.

3. In the following passage there are blanks, each of which has been numbered. These numbers are printed below the passage and against each, ve words/phrases are suggested, one of which ts the blank appropriately. Find out the appropriate word/ phrase in each case.The barter system for getting goods an

4. Rearrange the following five sentences (A), (B), (C), (D) and (E) in a proper sequence so as to form a meaningful paragraph, and then answer the questions given below. A. Being native or foreign is society's enduring parameter of judging belonging. B. People judge others by their skin, ge

5. What is the active/passive of - The people of my village are going to perform Hamlet this Holi.

6. Find out which part of a sentence has an error.We should arrage (1)/ for a porter as (2)/ the luggages are heavy. (3)/ No error. (4).

7. Pick out the most effective word from the given words to fill in the blank to make the sentence meaningfully complete.If you do well in this exam next year then my efforts ______ successful.

8. The following sentences form a paragraph. The last sentence of the paragraph is given. The rest of the sentences are numbered as P, Q, R and S and T. These five parts are not given in their proper order. Read the sentences and choose the alternative that arranges them in correct order. P. Parties a

9. Select the word with the correct spelling.

10. Read the following passage carefully and answer the questions given below it. Certain words/expressions are given in bold in the passage to help you locate them while answering some of the questions.Radically changing monsoon patterns, reduction in the winter rice harvest and a quantum increase in r