ExamCompetition Forum Question Papers Ask A Question Mock Test Learn & Earn Sign Up Login Menu

0 vote

Read the passage given below and answer the questions given below the passage. Mother died today. Or, maybe, yesterday; I can’t be sure. The telegram from the Home says: YOUR MOTHER PASSED AWAY. FUNERAL TOMORROW. DEEP SYMPATHY. Which leaves the matter doubtful; it could have been yesterday.

Asked on by | Votes 0 | Views: 27 | Tags: reading comprehension     | english comprehension     | Add Bounty

Read the passage given below and answer the questions given below the passage.

Mother died today. Or, maybe, yesterday; I can’t be sure. The telegram from the Home says: YOUR MOTHER PASSED AWAY. FUNERAL TOMORROW. DEEP SYMPATHY. Which leaves the matter doubtful; it could have been yesterday.

The Home for Aged Persons is at Marengo, some fifty miles from Algiers. With the two o’clock bus I should get there well before nightfall. Then I can spend the night there, keeping the usual vigil beside the body, and be back here by tomorrow evening. I have fixed up with my employer for two days’ leave; obviously, under the circumstances, he couldn’t refuse. Still, I had an idea he looked annoyed, and I said, without thinking: “Sorry, sir, but it’s not my fault, you know.”

Afterwards it struck me I needn’t have said that. I had no reason to excuse myself; it was up to him to express his sympathy and so forth. Probably he will do so the day after tomorrow, when he sees me in black. For the present, it’s almost as if Mother weren’t really dead. The funeral will bring it home to me, put an official seal on it, so to speak.

I took the two-o’clock bus. It was a blazing hot afternoon. I’d lunched, as usual, at Céleste’s restaurant. Everyone was most kind, and Céleste said to me, “There’s no one like a mother.” When I left they came with me to the door. It was something of a rush, getting away, as at the last moment I had to call in at Emmanuel’s place to borrow his black tie and mourning band. He lost his uncle a few months ago.

I had to run to catch the bus. I suppose it was my hurrying like that, what with the glare off the road and from the sky, the reek of gasoline, and the jolts, that made me feel so drowsy. Anyhow, I slept most of the way. When I woke I was leaning against a soldier; he grinned and asked me if I’d come from a long way off, and I just nodded, to cut things short. I wasn’t in a mood for talking.

The Home is a little over a mile from the village. I went there on foot. I asked to be allowed to see Mother at once, but the doorkeeper told me I must see the warden first. He wasn’t free, and I had to wait a bit. The doorkeeper chatted with me while I waited; then he led me to the office. The warden was a very small man, with gray hair, and a Legion of Honor rosette in his buttonhole. He gave me a long look with his watery blue eyes. Then we shook hands, and he held mine so long that I began to feel embarrassed.

The passage mentions that the author’s boss would express his sympathy ‘when he sees me in black’.

What does the underlined phrase ‘being in black’ mean?

1). To see someone in great sorrow or distress
2). To avenge someone’s death
3). To be in mourning for the death of a close relative
4). To be able to unable to engage in social affairs due to someone’s death

Share on Facebook      Share on Whatsapp       Share on Twitter

1 answers

3 vote
Answered by on | Votes 3 |

Wearing black is a common practice following the death of a close relative.

This is indicated in the passage where the author goes to borrow Emmanuel’s black tie and mourning band, whose uncle died recently.

Therefore, the correct answer is option 3.

Join Telegram Group

Answer This Question

Name:
Email:
Answer :
Sum of (2+2)
Submit:

Other Questions

1. In each of these questions, two sentences are given. These two sentences are to be combined into a single sentence without changing their meaning. Three probable starters of the combined sentence are given as (A), (B) and (C). ANy one or more of none of them may be correct. Find out the correct starter(S) and accordingly select your answer among the given five answer choices.

2. What is the antonym or opposite of word Agitate

3. Read the passage given below and then answer the questions given below the passage. Some words may be highlighted for your attention. Read carefully. Many scholars believe that fossil fuel energy will decline markedly by 2050. Such conclusions have been challenged by others who say that t

4. Find out which part of a sentence has an error.The secretary and treasurer (A)/ of this university is (B)/ negligent of their duty. (C)/ No error (D)

5. In the following passage there are blanks, each of which has been numbered. Thesenumbers are printed below the passage and against each, ve words are suggested, one of which tsthe blank appropriately. Find out the appropriate word in each case.The continuing economic crisis has put central banks and

6. Find out which part of a sentence has an error.Neither the girl nor her parents (l)/ was present (2)/ to receive the award. (3)/ No error. (4).

7. Rearrange the parts of the sentence in correct order.Accepting that one formP-of price discrimination is okay opensQ-the door to all other formsR-of discrimination as well

8. In the following question sentence are given with blanks to be filled in with an appropriate word (s). Four alternatives are suggested for each question. Choose the correct alternative out of the four. She is sad, because her father turned_________ her request.

10. Which of the phrases a),b),c)and d) given below each sentence should replace the phrase printed in bold in the sentence to make grammatically correct ?If the sentence is correct as it is given and no correction is required mark e) as the answer.