ExamCompetition Forum Question Papers Ask A Question Mock Test Learn & Earn Sign Up Login Menu

0 vote

The following sentences are broken into parts. One or more parts may have an error in them. Find out the combination which contains an error. If the sentence is free from error, mark no error. (A) The imperial system of measurement (B) which is considered comparatively lesser effective (C) then the metric system (D) is still used in some parts of the world, including the US.

Asked on by | Votes 0 | Views: 17 | Tags: grammar     | mix     | Add Bounty

The following sentences are broken into parts. One or more parts may have an error in them. Find out the combination which contains an error. If the sentence is free from error, mark no error.

(A) The imperial system of measurement (B) which is considered comparatively lesser effective (C) then the metric system (D) is still used in some parts of the world, including the US.
1). Only A
2). B and C
3). B and D
4). C and D

Share on Facebook      Share on Whatsapp       Share on Twitter

1 answers

2 vote
Answered by on | Votes 2 |

The correct answer is option 2.  

In part (B) of the sentence, the comparative degree of the word 'less' is used. It is incorrect because of the use of the word 'comparatively' in the sentence. The word to be used is, therefore ‘less’.

Further in part (C) of the sentence, the word 'then' (denoting time) has been wrongly used in place of 'than' (which denotes comparison).

Correct sentence:

The imperial system of measurement which is considered comparatively less effective than the metric system is still used in some parts of the world, including the US.

Join Telegram Group

Answer This Question

Name:
Email:
Answer :
Sum of (1+4)
Submit:

Other Questions

1. Direction: Study the following information carefully and answer the given questions. S, T, U, V, W, X and Y are 7 boxes which are kept in a stack but not necessarily in the same order. There are 4 boxes between T and W. There are 2 boxes between W and Y. Only one box is between U and

2. Directions (4 questions): Study the given information carefully and answer the questions that follow. Mr. Sharma took voluntary retirement in December 2017. Thus, he received certain amount of money as retirement benefits. On January 1, 2018, he invested the entire amount which he received in shares

3. In the following question two equations are given. You have to solve these equations and determine relation between a and b. \(\begin{array}{l} {\rm{I}}.{\rm{\;}}\frac{{{a^2}}}{3} + 11a + 90 = 0\\ {\rm{II}}.\frac{{{b^2}}}{5} + 11b + \frac{{714}}{5} = 0 \end{array}\)

4. Directions: In the following questions, two equations numbered I and II are given. You have to solve both the equations and then give the answer. I. (x - 18)2 = 0 II. y2 = 324

5. Which of the phrases (1), (2), (3) and (4) given below each statement should be placed in the blank space provided so as to make meaningful and grammatically correct sentence? If none of the options is appropriate, mark (5) i.e. ‘None of these’ as the answer. It showed that in comparison to the bid under the UPA there was an overall escalation in the price of each jet in the 2016 deal struck by the Modi government, ________

6. Which Indian bowler has been banned from bowling in international cricket because of a suspect action on 28 January 2019?

7. India's largest Dry Dock foundation at ________.

8. In the question below, a statement is given which is followed by three courses of actions numbered I, II and III. On the basis of the information given, you have to assume everything in the statement to be true, and then decide which of the suggested courses of action logically follow(s) for pursuin

9. Who was appointed as the South-East Asia Regional Director of the World Health Organisation (WHO) for a second five-year term on 27 January 2019?

10. Directions: In the following question, four statements are given followed by four conclusions I, II, III and IV. You have to consider the given statements to be true even, if they seem to be at variance with commonly known facts. Read all the conclusions and decide which of the following logica