ExamCompetition Forum Question Papers Ask A Question Mock Test Learn & Earn Sign Up Login Menu

0 vote

Directions: Each question below is followed by two statements I and II. You have to determine whether the data given in the statement is sufficient for answering the question. You should use the data and your knowledge of Mathematics to choose the best possible answer. What is the speed of stream of water? I. A boat covers 30 km moving upstream in 6 hours. II. Same boat covers 30 km moving downstream in 5 hours.

Asked on by | Votes 0 | Views: 25 | Tags: data sufficiency     | quantitative aptitude     | Add Bounty

Directions: Each question below is followed by two statements I and II. You have to determine whether the data given in the statement is sufficient for answering the question. You should use the data and your knowledge of Mathematics to choose the best possible answer.

What is the speed of stream of water?

I. A boat covers 30 km moving upstream in 6 hours.

II. Same boat covers 30 km moving downstream in 5 hours.

1). If the data given in the statement I alone is sufficient to answer the question whereas the data given in statement II alone is not sufficient to answer the question.
2). If the data given in the statement II alone is sufficient to answer the question whereas the data given in statement I alone is not sufficient to answer the question.
3). If the data in either statement I alone or in statement II alone is sufficient to answer the question.
4). If the data in either statement I & II is not sufficient to answer the question.

Share on Facebook      Share on Whatsapp       Share on Twitter

1 answers

0 vote
Answered by on | Votes 0 |

Let’s check each statement individually-

Statement I-

A boat covers 30 km moving upstream in 6 hours.

Speed of boat = distance /time = 30/6

The speed of boat in upstream is 5 km/hr

Here as we don’t know the speed of boat in still water, so we cannot determine the speed stream of water.

∴ Statement I alone is not sufficient to find required answer.

Statement II-

Same boat covers 30 km moving downstream in 5 hours.

Speed of boat = distance /time = 30/5

The speed of boat in downstream is 6 km/hr

Here as we don’t know the speed of boat in still water, so we cannot determine the speed stream of water.

∴ Statement II alone is not sufficient to find required answer.

By combining information of 2 statements-

Let the speed of boat in still water be x km/hr.

& let the speed of stream of water be y km/hr.

The speed of boat in downstream is 6 km/hr.

∴ Resultant speed will be addition of speed of boat in still water and speed of stream of water.

∴ x + y = 6 km/hr ---- (1)

& The speed of boat in upstream is 5 km/hr.

∴ Resultant speed will be subtraction of speed of boat in still water and speed of stream of water.

∴ x - y = 5 km/hr ---- (2)

By adding result (1) & (2)-

( x + y) + ( x – y) = 6 + 5

∴ 2 x = 11

∴ x = 5.5 km/hr.

∴ Substituting value of x in result 1-

x + y = 6 km/hr

5.5 + y = 6

∴ y = 0.5 km/hr

∴ Both statements are needed to find required answer.

Join Telegram Group

Answer This Question

Name:
Email:
Answer :
Sum of (2+5)
Submit:

Other Questions

1. Directions: Each of the questions given below consists of a question and two statements numbered I and ll. You have to decide whether the data provided in the statements is sufficient to answer the question. Give answer as : What is the compound interest in a period of 3 years? I. The rate of interest is 10%. II. The principal amount is Rs. 20,000

2. Question : How many girls are taller than Shravan in his class ?Statements :I. When students of Shravan's class are ranked in descending order of their heights, Shravan's rank is 17th from the top among all the students and 12th among boys.II. Shravan's rank from the bottom on the basis of height...

3. Directions: Each question below is followed by two statements I and II. You have to determine whether the data given in the statement is sufficient for answering the question. You should use the data and your knowledge of Mathematics to choose the best possible answer. Find out the 2-digit number. I. The average of 2 individual digits is 2 more than their addition. II. The difference between 2 digits is 2 and 10th place digit is greater than unit’s place digit.

4. The question given below consists of a statement and /or a question and two statements numbered I and II given below it. You have to decide whether the data provided in the statement(s) is/are sufficient to answer the given question. What is the speed of the train whose length is 420 metr

5. In the following question, a given question is followed by information in two statements. You have to decide the data in which statement (s) is sufficient to answer the question and mark your answer accordingly. A, B, C, D, E, F, G and H are sitting in a straight line facing south. Who sits 3rd to the right of G? I. R sits to the left of E. II. On the extreme right end, E is placed. E is immediately followed by A or H. G sits third from the extreme left end.

6. Directions: Below question is followed by two statements labelled I and II. Decide if these statements are sufficient to conclusively answer the question. Choose the appropriate answer from the options given below: What are the two number 'M' and 'N'? I. 'N' subtracted from 'M' evaluates to 792 II. H.C.F. of 'M' and 'N' is 33

7. Directions: Below question is followed by two statements labeled I and II. Decide if these statements are sufficient to conclusively answer the question. Choose the appropriate answer from the options given below: Nandan and Ajit run a business together for a year. The end year profit was Rs. 35400. What is Ajit's share? I) Nandan withdrew his money after 7 months II) Ajit invested Rs. 46000

8. Given below is a question and two statements numbered I and II given below it. You have to decide whether the data provided in the statements are sufficient to answer the question. You should use the given data and your knowledge of Mathematics to choose between the possible answers. By selling a product with 10% profit, how much profit was earned? I. The difference between selling and cost price is Rs. 40. II. The selling price is 110 % of the cost price.

9. The following question have three statements. Study the question and the statements and decide which of the statement(s) is necessary to answer the question. What is the ratio between the length and breadth of a cuboid? I) The volume of the cuboid is 367.5 m3. II) The ratio between the length and height of the cuboid is 21 : 10. III) The breadth of the cuboid is 1.4 times the height.

10. Question : How is J related to P ?Statements :I. M is brother of P and T is sister of P.II. P's mother is married to J's husband who has one son and two daughters.