ExamCompetition Forum Question Papers Ask A Question Mock Test Learn & Earn Sign Up Login Menu

0 vote

In the following passage some of the words have been left out. Read the passage carefully and select the correct answer for the given blank out of the five alternatives. Thakur Dada’s poor lodging was much too small for his position, and we used to __(A)__ him about it. His friends

Asked on by | Votes 0 | Views: 20 | Tags: vocabulary     | english comprehension     | Add Bounty

In the following passage some of the words have been left out. Read the passage carefully and select the correct answer for the given blank out of the five alternatives.

Thakur Dada’s poor lodging was much too small for his position, and we used to __(A)__ him about it. His friends would __(B)__ him that they quite understood his difficulties: it was next to impossible to get a decent house in Calcutta. Indeed, they had all been looking for years for a house to suit him. Thakur Dada used to say, with a sigh of __(C)__: "Well, well, I suppose I shall have to put up with this house after all." Then he would add with a __(D)__ smile: "But, you know, I could never bear to be away from my friends. I must be near you. That really ___(E)__ for everything."

Which of the following fits in the blank labelled (E)?
1). Admonishes
2). Compensates
3). Scatters
4). Advocates

Share on Facebook      Share on Whatsapp       Share on Twitter

1 answers

0 vote
Answered by on | Votes 0 |
The passage makes it understood that the man had a small place to live in which was not suitable for him but he did not want to go away from his friends. Thus the word 'admonishes' which means 'scolds firmly' is incorrect here. The word 'compensates' which means 'reduce or counteract (something unwelcome or unpleasant) by exerting an opposite force or effect$' is the correct word here. The word 'scatters' means 'distributes' and is incorrect here. The word 'advocates' means 'supports' and is not wrong but is less apt than the word 'compensates.' The word 'boosts' means 'encourages' and is not the most suitable answer here. Thus option 2 is the correct answer.

Join Telegram Group

Answer This Question

Name:
Email:
Answer :
Sum of (2+3)
Submit:

Other Questions

1. In the following passage there are blanks, each of which has been numbered. These numbers are printed below the passage and against each, five words are suggested, one of which fits the blank appropriately. Find out the appropriate word that fits the blank.In these days of economic liberalisation, g

2. Read the following passage carefully and answer the question given below it.Certain words/phrases have been printed in bold to help you locate them while answering some of the question.Governments have traditionally equated economic progress with steel mills and cement factories. While urban centers

3. Read the following passage to answer the given questions based on it. Some words/ phrases are printed in ??bold?? to help you locate them while answering some of the questions.The e-waste (Management of Handling) Rules, 2011 notified by the Ministry of Environment and Forests, have the potential to

4. In the following question, the first and the last parts of the sentences have been numbered 1 and 6. The rest of the sentence is split into four parts and named P, Q, R and S. These four parts are not given in their proper order. Read the following sentence and find out which of the four combin

5. In the following questions, groups of four words are given. In each group, one word is wrongly spelt. Find the misspelt word

6. What is the Indirect/Direct form of - He said , " I am going to college just now."

7. A passage is given below with seven blanks labelled (A)-(G). Below the passage, five options are given for each blank. Choose the word that fits each blank most appropriately in the context of the passage, and mark the corresponding answer. The Madras High Court on Thursday delivered a split verdic

8. In each question below, four words which are numbered a, b, c and d have been printed of which one may be wrongly spelt. The number of that word is the answer. If all the four words are correctly spelt mark e. i.e. ?All correct? as the answer.

9. In the following question, out of the four alternatives, choose the one which best expresses the meaning of the given word. Gather

10. In the following question, out of the four alternatives, select the alternative which best expresses the meaning of the idiom/phrase. .Herculean task