ExamCompetition Forum Question Papers Ask A Question Mock Test Learn & Earn Sign Up Login Menu

0 vote

Read the passage carefully and select the best answer to each question out of the given four alternatives. Let’s move to the crackling topic of the SC’s firecracker ban in Delhi. Like me and millions of other children raised in India, Masaba must have celebrated Diwali with new clothes, sweets

Asked on by | Votes 0 | Views: 38 | Tags: ssc     | ssc cgl     | ssc cgl tier 2     | ssc cgl 2017     | ssc cgl 20 04 2018     | english comprehension     | Add Bounty

Read the passage carefully and select the best answer to each question out of the given four alternatives. Let’s move to the crackling topic of the SC’s firecracker ban in Delhi. Like me and millions of other children raised in India, Masaba must have celebrated Diwali with new clothes, sweets and the quintessential rockets, anars and phuljharis. But when she supports the ban on firecrackers because of the pollution it creates, the earthworms once again flail desperately, not by quoting statistics or making logical arguments to refute her point but by muck-raking. ‘Don’t mess with our ancient traditions,’ they say. I would like to tell them that if we stuck to all our traditions just because they’re ancient then we should still be pushing widows into funeral pyres to commit sati and get our children married off at the age of eight. As much as I would like to see the delight on my daughter’s face — the s ame glee I had as a child — while bursting atom bombs and laris, it is the present scenario and not nostalgia that must dictate my actions. If even doctors welcome the ban as they feel fumes from firecrackers take pollution levels beyond safe limits, then perhaps we need to change our traditional values and create new ones. If saying that makes me a bad Indian, then so be it. One of the greatest privileges I have — in fact because of the very background that they are trying to smear — stems from t he fact that I was lucky enough to have a mother who has raised me to believe that equality isn’t one of my privileges but it is my right. One that was hard won by some brave and fearless women, women who set the right precedent for other women by standing against inequality. The flailing trollers do not realize that you cannot shame us by pulling down our mothers, those fiercely independent women who have lived life on their own terms, who have not just talked the talk but walked the walk. Yes, you can reason with us by presenting a logical argument but this seems to be beyond the resources of these anonymous creatures hiding their faces in the mud. And yes one last thing, for all those claiming to be the flag -bearers of ancient traditions, it would be lovely if you adhered to your so-called traditional ways completely. Why do you write open letters, tweet and troll in the language of the Brits? Why not go traditional there as well, use only our ancient languages and spare us your venom-filled and grammatically incorrect English? According to the passage why do the doctors welcome the ban?
1). New clothes, sweets and fire crackers are nothing but the waste of money.
2). Banning firecrackers is a decision taken by the government and we should respect it.
3). This ban supports logic and we all should support logic.
4). Fumes from firecrackers take pollution levels beyond safe limits

SSC CGL Books

Share on Facebook      Share on Whatsapp       Share on Twitter

1 answers

0 vote
Answered by on | Votes 0 |
NA

Join Telegram Group

Answer This Question

Name:
Email:
Answer :
Sum of (4+1)
Submit:

Other Questions

1. Read each of the following sentences to find out whether there is any error in it.The error,if any, will be in one part of sentence.The number of that part is the answer. If there is no error (E) (Ignore errors of punctuation, if any)

2. What is the substitute of - The study of the forms of things

3. Improve the bracketed part of the sentence.All the allegations levelled (over) the poor watchman were found to be baseless.

4. The question below consists of a set of labelled sentences. These sentences, when properly sequenced form a coherent paragraph. Select the most logical order of sentences from among the options. P: People celebrate it as a two-day festival; first day as Holika Dahan and second day as colourful Ho

5. A part of the sentence may contain an error. Choose the part as the corresponding answer. If there is no error choose option 5 that is 'No improvement' as the correct answer. Not that adults wouldn’t like(P)/  the same content that children do,(Q)/ but rather they might lose(R)/ their interest if the text was too easy.(S)

6. Select the word which is most opposite in meaning to the given word. Uncouth

7. 1. A proposal has been made P. tourists will continue to visit game parks Q. to-trim the horns of rhinos to discourage poachers R. and the question is whether S. to see rhinos once the animals’ horns 6. have been trimmed.

8. In the following question, out of the four alternatives, select the word similar in meaning to the word given. Fallacy

9. In this question, a part of the sentence is given in bold. Below are given alternatives to the bold part at 1, 2 and 3 which may improve the sentence.Choose the correct alternative. In case no improvement is needed your answer is (4).Doctors are known for their illegible handwriting.

10. What is the antonym or opposite of word Paucity