ExamCompetition Forum Question Papers Ask A Question Mock Test Learn & Earn Sign Up Login Menu

0 vote

A tap can fill a tank in 36 minutes and another can empty it in 18 minutes. If the tank is already ½ full and both the taps are opened together, will the tank be filled or emptied? How long will it take before the tank is either filled completely or emptied completely, as the case may be?

Asked on by | Votes 0 | Views: 285 | Tags: time and work     | numerical ability     | Add Bounty

A tap can fill a tank in 36 minutes and another can empty it in 18 minutes. If the tank is already ½ full and both the taps are opened together, will the tank be filled or emptied? How long will it take before the tank is either filled completely or emptied completely, as the case may be?

1). Emptied; 36 minutes
2). Filled; 18 minutes
3). Emptied; 18 minutes
4). Filled; 32 minutes

Share on Facebook      Share on Whatsapp       Share on Twitter

1 answers

3 vote
Answered by on | Votes 3 |

Let the two taps be tap 1 and tap 2 respectively.

Part of tank filled by tap 1 in one minute = 1/36

Part of tank emptied by tap 2 in one minute = 1/18

Part of tank filled by tap 1 and tap 2 in one minute = (1/36) – (1/18) = - 1/36

Since the above value is negative, the tank would be emptied.

Time taken to empty the filled tank = 1/(1/36) = 36 min

Time taken to empty half the tank = 36/2 = 18 min

Join Telegram Group

Answer This Question

Name:
Email:
Answer :
Sum of (2+5)
Submit:

Other Questions

1. Find the next term in the given series. 23, 53, 73, 85, 91, ?

2. A 40 meter long truck takes 5 seconds to cross the pole. What is the speed of truck in km/hr?

3. What should come in place of the question mark (?) in the following number series? 3, 6, 11, 18, 27, 38, ?

4. In the following question two equations are given. You have to solve these equations and determine relation between x and y. I. 3x2 + 19x – 40 = 0 II. 10y2 – 13y – 3 = 0

5. The ratio between the present ages of P and Q is 4 : 5 respectively. Four years hence Q will be five years older than P. What is P’s present age?

6. What will come in place of the question mark (?) in the following number series? 180, 179, 183, 156, 172, ?

7. In the following question two equations are given. You have to solve these equations and determine relation between x and y. I. x2 + 19x – 120 = 0 II. y2 – 14y + 45 = 0

8. What should come in the place of question mark (?) in this question? 99.8/9.98 = 499/?

9. In the following question, one or two equation(s) is/are given. You have to solve both the equations and find the relation between ‘x’ and ‘y’ and mark correct answer. I. 4x2 – 7x – 2 = 0 II. 6y2 + 11y + 4 = 0

10. Direction: Three partners A, B and C invested different amounts in different years for the different time periods. In 2012, A invested an amount for 8 months, B invested an amount which is 3000 more than that of A’s amount in the same year for some time period and C invested an amount which i