ExamCompetition Forum Question Papers Ask A Question Mock Test Learn & Earn Sign Up Login Menu

0 vote

In the following question two equations are given. You have to solve these equations and determine relation between a and b. I. a2 - a - 156 = 0 II. b2 - b - 210 = 0

Asked on by | Votes 0 | Views: 16 | Tags: algebra     | numerical ability     | Add Bounty

In the following question two equations are given. You have to solve these equations and determine relation between a and b.

I. a2 - a - 156 = 0

II. b2 - b - 210 = 0
1). a < b
2). a > b
3). a = b or the relationship cannot be determined
4). a ≥ b

Share on Facebook      Share on Whatsapp       Share on Twitter

1 answers

1 vote
Answered by on | Votes 1 |

I. a2 - a - 156 = 0

⇒ a2 - 13a + 12a - 156 = 0

⇒ a(a - 13) + 12(a - 13) = 0

⇒ (a - 13)(a + 12) = 0

Then, a = 13 or a = -12

II. b2 - b - 210 = 0

⇒ b2 –15b + 14 + 210 = 0

⇒ b(b - 15) + 14(b - 15) = 0

⇒ (b - 15)(b + 14) = 0

Then, b = 15 or b = -14

So, when a = 13, a < b for b = 15 and a > b for b = -14

And when a = -12, a < b for b = 15 and a > b for b = -14

∴ We can observe that a = b or the relationship cannot be determined.

Join Telegram Group

Answer This Question

Name:
Email:
Answer :
Sum of (5+1)
Submit:

Other Questions

1. A shopkeeper purchases 15 packs of four cigars of Jaali brand each pricing Rs. 600. If a shopkeeper sells them illegally at the rate of Rs. 200 per piece. What is the profit percent earned by the shopkeeper?

2. The present age of A and B are in the ratio 9 : 11. Twelve years hence the ratio of their ages will be 13 : 15. Find the age of B, fourteen years from now.

3. Mayank threw two dice simultaneously. What is the probability of getting a total of 7?

4. Directions: Study the following information carefully to answer the questions that follow : 1500 customers visit a toy shop. The shop has a collection of soft toys featuring bear, penguin and monkey. 40% of the customers like a bear, 20% like penguin and rest 10% like monkeys. 5% of them like both bear and penguin, 3% like both penguin and monkeys and 4% like monkeys and bears. 2 % of customers like all the three soft toys. Find the number of customers who like both penguin and bear.

5. In the following question two equations are given. You have to solve these equations and determine relation between a and b. I. a2 - 27a + 126 = 0 II. b2 - 50b + 621 = 0

6. What will come in place of question mark (?) in the following questions? 6, 9, 15, 27, 51, ?

7. You are given a mixture of 18 litres, where the ratio of milk and water is 3 ∶ 2. If 3 litres of this mixture is replaced by 3 litres of milk, then what will be the ratio of milk and water in the newly formed mixture?

8. Directions: Study the table carefully to answer the questions that follow: Number of students studying in six different standards in six different schools Standard→ School↓ I II III IV V VI

9. Direction: A fruit seller sells apples, bananas and oranges for five days in a week. The selling price of the fruits per kg varies daily. On Monday, he sells apples for Rs. 40 per kg, whereas banana is sold for Rs. 12 per kg and oranges for Rs. 28 per kg. On Tuesday he reduces the price of all fruit

10. A car A with 100 km/hr crosses a bridge in 36 seconds. Another car B 100 metres shorter crosses the same bridge at 36 km/h. What is the time taken by the second car to cross the bridge?