ExamCompetition Forum Question Papers Ask A Question Mock Test Learn & Earn Sign Up Login Menu

0 vote

Directions: Each question below is followed by two statements I and II. You have to determine whether the data given in the statement is sufficient for answering the question. You should use the data and your knowledge of Mathematics to choose the best possible answer. How many students partic

Asked on by | Votes 0 | Views: 29 | Tags: data sufficiency     | mix     | Add Bounty

Directions: Each question below is followed by two statements I and II. You have to determine whether the data given in the statement is sufficient for answering the question. You should use the data and your knowledge of Mathematics to choose the best possible answer.

How many students participated in sports event?

I. Only 40% of students were qualified for certain sports events.

II. If 44 more students were qualified then percentage of students qualified for sports would have been 62%.

1). If the data given in the statement I alone is sufficient to answer the question whereas the data given in statement II alone is not sufficient to answer the question.
2). If the data given in the statement II alone is sufficient to answer the question whereas the data given in statement I alone is not sufficient to answer the question.
3). If the data in either statement I alone or in statement II alone is sufficient to answer the question.
4). If the data in either statement I & II is not sufficient to answer the question.

Share on Facebook      Share on Whatsapp       Share on Twitter

1 answers

2 vote
Answered by on | Votes 2 |

Let’s check each statement individually-

Statement I-

Only 40% of students were qualified for certain sports events.

It gives only information about percent of candidates is qualified in the sports event.

We cannot find the total number of students using statement I alone.

Statement II-

If 44 more students were qualified, then percentage of students qualified for sports would have been 62%.

It gives the information about qualified students.

But as we don’t know number of total students we cannot find answer for question using statement II alone.

Combining the statements, I and II-

Let the total number of students participating be X.

∴ 40% of students were qualified for certain sports events.

∴ 0.40X students got qualified for sports event.       ---- (1)

If 44 more students were qualified, then percentage of students qualified for sports would have been 62%.

∴ 0.4X + 44 = 0.62X

∴ 0.62X – 0.4x = 44

∴ 0.22X = 44

∴ X = 200

∴ Both statements I & II are necessary to find required answer.

Join Telegram Group

Answer This Question

Name:
Email:
Answer :
Sum of (4+1)
Submit:

Other Questions

1. Direction: Study the following information carefully and answer the given questions. In a certain code language ‘he won gold man’ is written as ‘ee ce ba ab’, ‘man won the plan’ is written as ‘ac aa ce ee’, ‘project plan for man’ is written as ‘aa ee ef bb’ and ’agenda project for plan’ is written as ‘bb cc aa ef ’.Which of the following means ‘the’ in that code language?

2. Who among the following was elected as Malaysia's new King on 24 January 2019?

3. In the following question two equations are given. You have to solve these equations and determine relation between x and y. I. x2 - 8x + 15 = 0 II. y2 + 14y + 24 = 0

4. Rearrange the following six sentences/ group of sentences (A), (B), (C), (D), (E) and (F) in the proper sequence to form a meaningful paragraph; then answer the questions given below them. A- It is a general term used to describe over 200 individual diseases. B- The abnormal cells grow without any

5. A biased coin is tossed 4 times. The probability that a head occurs when this coin is tossed is 0.25. What is the probability that exactly 2 tails occur?

6. Direction: Read the information given and answer question. There are 10 people – Ajay, Pooja, Neha, Durga, Priya, Monika, Nidhi, Aman, Priyank and Rohan who stay on 4 floors (numbered 1 to 4) of a building. There are three type of flats 1BHK, 2BHK, 3BHK on each of the four floors ou

7. Direction: Read the given information and answer below question. There are seven people Alex, Barton, Chris, Danial, John, Steven and Smith who are fond of 7 different colors Violet, Indigo, Blue, Green, Yellow, Orange and Red, but not necessarily in the same order. They also take interest in diffe

8. In the question given below, a sentence is given with two emboldened words. Three answer choices are given giving replacements to the option that gives the correct combination of the answer choices. In case, the sentence is correct as it is, select ‘No improvement’. ‘Hindu-ism&rs

9. Directions: Study the information given below carefully and answer the questions that follow. Rohan’s office is located 8 km east to his home. A bank is located 3 km south of his office. 5 km west to the bank is a stationary shop. A mechanic shop is located 10 km south to Rohan’s house. Hospital is 7 km north to stationary.From mechanic shop Rohan travels 3 km east and then turn left and walks for 7 km, where will he reach?

10. Select the most appropriate option, out of the five options given for each of the following sentences, which in your view, should be grammatically and structurally correct. Please note that the meaning and the context of the sentence must not change.