ExamCompetition Forum Question Papers Ask A Question Mock Test Learn & Earn Sign Up Login Menu

0 vote

Read the given passage carefully and answer the questions that follow. There are friends that you have polite chats with, and there are your best friends. They're the people who root for you, no matter what. You tell them your deepest, darkest secrets, and instead of heading for the door, they

Asked on by | Votes 0 | Views: 273 | Tags: reading comprehension     | english comprehension     | Add Bounty

Read the given passage carefully and answer the questions that follow.

There are friends that you have polite chats with, and there are your best friends. They're the people who root for you, no matter what. You tell them your deepest, darkest secrets, and instead of heading for the door, they stick around and your bond with them grows stronger.

A friend recently sent me news about some phenomenal successes he is enjoying in a new business venture. I responded enthusiastically about his amazing gifts. He e-mailed back: "You, my friend, are too much! But I must say, I love having my own cheering section!" I responded, without even thinking, "What are friends for?"

Precisely! Friendship is about being what a hero of mine described as "balcony people" instead of "basement people." Basement people are those who live in our minds, telling us we will never amount to anything, that we are doomed to fail and that we are royal screw-ups. Balcony people are those who are consistently cheering us on. "Go for it," they say to our attempts to find our voice, to live in ever-widening circles, to dare, to create, to break through our lives' sound barriers. While not all of us are made to be married or to live in an intentional formal community, be it a kibbutz, ashram, monastery, convent or commune, all of us are created to live in some form of friendship. Friendships are what help us be human. 

My best friends and I get together regularly to share the deepest part of life, the part that is about being as opposed to doing. Sure, we speak about what we do in our jobs, our other relationships, our spiritual, athletic, medical, familial doings. But the experiential, life-giving juice that feeds our soul and binds us together over the years and takes us to ever deeper dimensions is the conversation we have at the being level. That's the place where your soul stands naked before someone else and receives unconditional acceptance in return.

From time to time, we speak about what an exasperation-free oasis our friendship is. Both of us have had some important relationships that soured because someone got exasperated with us. Not that we didn't deserve it. But there is something about my best friends, who just don't get exasperated with me, no matter how much I deserve it. As a result, I am not guarded with them, and when we fall back into old patterns of thinking, "If I tell him this, the friendship is over," that's where we have over the years taken the risk to tell it all. That's where the friendship is made even stronger. 

Who are 'balcony people'?
1). The people who hate us
2). The people who spy on us
3). The people who constantly cheer us on
4). The people who betray us

Share on Facebook      Share on Whatsapp       Share on Twitter

1 answers

3 vote
Answered by on | Votes 3 |

The correct option is option 3. 

In the passage, it is directly given that,

Balcony people are those who are consistently cheering us on. 

Join Telegram Group

Answer This Question

Name:
Email:
Answer :
Sum of (5+5)
Submit:

Other Questions

1. In the given passage, there are blanks, each of which has been numbered. Against each, five words are suggested, one of which fits the blank appropriately. Find out the appropriate word in each case.We are in the first decade of the last millennium. In the first decade of the last century, sanitatio

2. In the following question, out of the four alternatives, select the alternative which best expresses the meaning of the idiom/phrase.Familiarity breeds contempt

3. In the following question, out of the four alternatives, select the alternative which is the best substitute of the phrase.things that have been discarded as worthless.

4. What could be some of the reasons for sixty seven percent of prison population being made up of undertrials ?

5. A sentence/a part of the sentence is underlined. Four alternatives are given to the underlined part which will improve the sentence. Choose the correct alternative and click the button corresponding to it. In case no improvement is needed, click the button corresponding to No improvement.The fire service personnel put off the fire with much difficulty.

6. Read the passage and answer the questions that follow: It was an age of superlatives. The numerous new compendia of statistics in which this era of counting and calculation sought to record all aspects of the known world* could conclude with justice that virtually every measurable quantity was

7. One who believes in god

8. In the following question, a sentence has been given in Direct/Indirect speech. Out of the four alternatives suggested, select the one which best expresses the same sentence in Indirect/Direct speech. The artist said, "I was painting a picture here at the bank of this river."

9. What is the antonym or opposite of word Sanguine

10. License fee comes under: