ExamCompetition Forum Question Papers Ask A Question Mock Test Learn & Earn Sign Up Login Menu

0 vote

Select the most appropriate option, out of the five options given for each of the following sentences, which in your view, should be grammatically and structurally correct. Please note that the meaning and the context of the sentence must not change.

Asked on by | Votes 0 | Views: 25 | Tags: grammar     | english comprehension     | Add Bounty

Select the most appropriate option, out of the five options given for each of the following sentences, which in your view, should be grammatically and structurally correct. Please note that the meaning and the context of the sentence must not change.
1). I was surprised when he told me how much does he smoke daily.
2). I was surprised that when he told me how much he smokes daily.
3). I was surprised when he told me how much he smokes daily.
4). I was surprised when he tells me how much he smokes daily.

Share on Facebook      Share on Whatsapp       Share on Twitter

1 answers

1 vote
Answered by on | Votes 1 |

Correct option - 3

Here, concept of indirect speech is brought under consideration. Since, indirect speech converts interrogative sentences into affirmative. Thus, following form is followed - sub + verb + rest of the sentence. It means verb does/did will come after he. Hence, options 1 & 5 are eliminated.

Now, when an indirect speech has relative pronoun(wh-word) in it, conjunction 'that, if or whether' are not used in the sentence. Hence, option 2 is eliminated.

Since, the sentence has past verb was, so similar tense to to be followed throughout the sentence. Hence, tells should be replaced with told. So, option 4 is eliminated.

Hence, option 3 is the correct answer.

Join Telegram Group

Answer This Question

Name:
Email:
Answer :
Sum of (4+1)
Submit:

Other Questions

1. In the following question, some part of the sentence may have errors. Find out which part of the sentence has an error and select the appropriate option. If a sentence is free from error, select 'No Error'.This town has an ancient temple(A)/and beautiful waterfall(B)/so many tourists come here.(C)/No error(D)

2. Read each sentence to find out whether there is any grammatical mistake/error in it. The error if any will be in one part of the sentence Mark the number of the part with error as your answer If there is no error mark (5).

3. In the following question, one part of the sentence may have an error. Find out which part of the sentence has an error and click the option corresponding to it. If the sentence is free from error, click the 'No error' option. Hitesh thought Ganesh had already seeing the show.

4. Ask Mr. Das. He can give you all the news you need : he is always in the swim .

5. In the following questions, one part of the sentence may have an error. Find out which part of the sentence has an error and click the button corresponding to it. If the sentence is free from error, click the 'No error' option.You have prepared well (A) / for the examination (B) / isn't it ? (C) / No error (D)

6. Read the passage given below and then answer the questions given below the passage. Some words may be highlighted for your attention. Read carefully. The life story of the Buddha begins in Lumbini, near the border of Nepal and India, about 2,600 years ago, where the man Siddharta Gautam was born. A

7. Whenever I feel blue I like to listen to slow music.

8. A sentence/a part of the sentence is underlined. Four alternatives are given to the underlined part which will improve the sentence. Choose the correct alternative and click the button corresponding to it. In case no improvement is needed, click the button corresponding to 'No improvement'.Africa is in the South of Europe

9. Read the following passage carefully and answer the questions given below it. Certain words/expressions are given in bold in the passage to help you locate them while answering some of the questions.Radically changing monsoon patterns, reduction in the winter rice harvest and a quantum increase in r

10. Select the antonym of therapeutic