ExamCompetition Forum Question Papers Ask A Question Mock Test Learn & Earn Sign Up Login Menu

0 vote

Read the passage and answer the following questions. With fresh reports that the Islamic State (IS) group has bombed Baghdad to produce the “bloodiest day in months,” it’s high time to take a hard look at the Obama administration’s military effort in the Middle East. Recall

Asked on by | Votes 0 | Views: 37 | Tags: reading comprehension     | english comprehension     | Add Bounty

Read the passage and answer the following questions.

With fresh reports that the Islamic State (IS) group has bombed Baghdad to produce the “bloodiest day in months,” it’s high time to take a hard look at the Obama administration’s military effort in the Middle East. Recall that in September of 2014, President Barack Obama announced his strategy “to degrade and ultimately destroy” IS. The White House later fleshed out a “comprehensive strategy featuring nine lines of effort to counter ISIL.” ISIL is another name for the Islamic State group.

In execution of its part of this strategy, the U.S. military has not deployed large numbers of troops but rather used what it calls a “combination of factors“ in order to “enable local ground forces to push back” IS “by providing precision airstrikes, intelligence and advise-and-assist support.”

The perspective from the Middle East is not encouraging. Though information is scanty, what does exist shows that people in the Middle East have a significantly unfavorable view of the U.S. In a recent Pew Global survey, 83 percent of people in Jordan had an “unfavorable” view of the U.S. In Lebanon, it was 60 percent. In Turkey, 58 percent.

Even among Israelis, 63 percent rank Obama as the “worst” president in the last 30 years in relation to their country, despite the fact that there are no Arab armies today that are able to pose a serious threat to Israel.

Perhaps most frustrating is a State Department poll that shows that about 40 percent of Iraqis believe the U.S. is “working to destabilize Iraq and control its natural resources and nearly a third believe that America supports terrorism in general or IS specifically.” Some Iraqis even believe that they were better off under Saddam Hussein.

Which of the following can be inferred from the passage?

I. USA has failed to bring about much change in the political conditions in the Middle east.

II. USA had the aim of ending terrorism in the Middle east but has not earned much support there.

III. The strategies adopted by Obama were ineffective and did not play out well.

1). Only II
2). Both II and III
3). Both I and II
4). Only III

Share on Facebook      Share on Whatsapp       Share on Twitter

1 answers

3 vote
Answered by on | Votes 3 |
It is mentioned in the passage how the people in the Middle east have reacted unfavourably towards USA. It is also mentioned that the methods adopted by Obama did not satisfy the people and were not much effective. Option 2 is thus the correct answer. Option I is not correct as it is mentioned '...despite the fact that there are no Arab armies today that are able to pose a serious threat to Israel.'

Join Telegram Group

Answer This Question

Name:
Email:
Answer :
Sum of (1+4)
Submit:

Other Questions

1. What is the correct alternative of - I asked him to copy the sentence word for word

2. What is the active/passive of - Anu is interviewing Radhika and Sarath Kumar.

3. QID : 238 - In the following passage, some of the words have been left out. Read the passage carefully and select the correct answer for the given blank out of the four alternatives. For me the ______________ and the chill of those nights dissolved into those little flames of fire that for hours m

4. In this question, a part of the sentence is given in bold. Below are given alternatives to the bold part at 1, 2 and 3 which may improve the sentence.Choose the correct alternative. In case no improvement is needed your answer is (4).She usually does not leave for work until she finished all her chores.

5. Read the following passage carefully and answer the questions given below. About a year ago, on the morning of 30th May of 2017, least was I aware that my climb up the steps to the Counselling Hall of the Centralized Admission Committee of the government would pit me against the might of all p

6. In the following question, out of the four alternatives, select the alternative which best expresses the meaning of the idiom/phrase.To spin one's wheels

7. In the following question, a sentence has been given in Direct/Indirect speech. Out of the four alternatives suggested, select the one which best expresses the same sentence in Indirect/Direct speech. My sister said to me, "You didn't help me yesterday so I will not help you now."

8. Read the sentence to find out whether there is any grammatical mistake/error in it. The error, if any, will be in one part of sentence. Mark that part with error as your answer. If the sentence is correct as it is, mark ?No errors? as your answer. (Ignore the errors of punctuation if any)

9. Out of the four alternatives, choose the one which can be substituted for the given words/sentences and click the button corresponding to it.One who copies from other writers

10. In the question below, a part of the sentence is underlined. Below are given alternatives to the underlined part which may improve the sentence. Choose the correct alternative. In case no improvement is needed, choose "No improvement." I tried not hold any grudge against her for so reserved.