ExamCompetition Forum Question Papers Ask A Question Mock Test Learn & Earn Sign Up Login Menu

0 vote

In the following question, a sentence has been given in Direct/Indirect speech. Out of the four alternatives suggested, select the one which best expresses the same sentence in Indirect/Direct speech. The visitor said, "Is your mother at home?"

Asked on by | Votes 0 | Views: 24 | Tags: direct and indirect speech     | english comprehension     | Add Bounty

In the following question, a sentence has been given in Direct/Indirect speech. Out of the four alternatives suggested, select the one which best expresses the same sentence in Indirect/Direct speech.

The visitor said, "Is your mother at home?"

1). The visitor asked me is my mother at home.
2). The visitor asked to me whether my mother was at home.
3). The visitor asked to me is my mother at home.
4). The visitor asked me whether my mother was at home.

Share on Facebook      Share on Whatsapp       Share on Twitter

1 answers

2 vote
Answered by on | Votes 2 |

Correct Answer: The visitor asked me whether my mother was at home.

The reporting verb 'said' is changed into 'asked' and to change from direct to indirect the conjunction 'whether' is added.  

Join Telegram Group

Answer This Question

Name:
Email:
Answer :
Sum of (1+3)
Submit:

Other Questions

1. The following question consists of a sentence(s) with one blank only. You are given six words as answer choices and from the six choices, you have to pick up two correct answers, either of which will make the sentence meaningfully complete. “If a/an _________ takes over the throne, the country will be well on its way to self-destruction”, said Prime Minister in an interview. A. Appeaser B. Politician C. Reconciler D. Demagogue E. Agitator F. Pacifist

2. In the following passage, some of the words have been left out. Read the passage carefully and select the correct answer for the given blank out of the four alternatives. Raising effective primary and district-level coverage of mental health services for the general population, without requiring peo

3. There ............. any message from my teacher since she moved to London .

4. Directions : Which of the phrases 1, 2, 3 and 4 given below each sentence should replace the word/ phrase printed in bold in the sentence to make it grammatically correct? If the sentence is correct as it is given and no correction is required, mark 5 as the answer.

5. Improve the bracketed part of the sentence. Sleep deprivation (adverse in affects) the brain and cognitive function.

6. Find out which part of a sentence has an error.He has read four plays (1)/ written by Shakespeare (2)/ by the end of his vacation. (3)/ No error (4).

7. In the following passage, there are blanks, each of which has been numbered. Against each, five words are suggested, one of which fits the blank appropriately. Find out the appropriate word in each case. Tara and Lara were ...(1)... twins. Even their parents found it difficult to identify the physic

8. Read the following passage carefully and answer the question given below it. Certain words are printed in bold to help you to locate them while answering some of the question.A large majority of the poor in India are outside the formal banking system. The policy of financial inclusion sets out to re

9. What is the active/passive of - Who inaugurated the fair

10. Read the following passage to answer the given questions based on it. Some words/ phrases are printed in bold to help you locate them while answering some of the questions.India?s manufacturing growth fell to its lowest in more than two years in September, 2011, reinforcing fears that an extended pe