ExamCompetition Forum Question Papers Ask A Question Mock Test Learn & Earn Sign Up Login Menu

0 vote

In the following question, a sentence has been given in Direct/Indirect speech. Out of the four alternatives suggested, select the one which best expresses the same sentence in the Indirect/Direct speech. The old man said, "Thanks I shall never forget this kindness, Ankit."

Asked on by | Votes 0 | Views: 14 | Tags: direct and indirect speech     | english comprehension     | Add Bounty

In the following question, a sentence has been given in Direct/Indirect speech. Out of the four alternatives suggested, select the one which best expresses the same sentence in the Indirect/Direct speech.

The old man said, "Thanks I shall never forget this kindness, Ankit."

1). The old man applauded Ankit for his kindness and he shall never forget Ankit
2). The old man thanked Ankit and assured him that he would never forget his kindness
3). Ankit was being thanked by the old man for his kindness towards an old man
4). The old man said thank you to Ankit for his kindness.

Share on Facebook      Share on Whatsapp       Share on Twitter

1 answers

1 vote
Answered by on | Votes 1 |

Correct Answer: The old man thanked Ankit and assured him that he would never forget his kindness

In this case, the reporting verb shall be 'thanked'. Since the reporting verb is in past tense, the tense of the reported speech shall also be changed accordingly. The pronoun 'I' is replaced by 'he' and the verb 'shall' is replaced by 'would'. In other words, 'I shall' is replaced by 'he would'. Only option 2 fulfils the above criteria and is, therefore, the answer.  

Join Telegram Group

Answer This Question

Name:
Email:
Answer :
Sum of (2+1)
Submit: