ExamCompetition Forum Question Papers Ask A Question Mock Test Learn & Earn Sign Up Login Menu

0 vote

Question 1.7:How will you distinguish between the following pairs of terms:(i) Hexagonal close-packing and cubic close-packing?(ii) Crystal lattice and unit cell?(iii) Tetrahedral void and octahedral void?

Asked on by | Votes 0 | Views: 26 | Tags: 12th class     | chemistry     | chapter 1 the solid state     | Add Bounty

Question 1.7:

How will you distinguish between the following pairs of terms:

(i) Hexagonal close-packing and cubic close-packing?

(ii) Crystal lattice and unit cell?

(iii) Tetrahedral void and octahedral void?

Share on Facebook      Share on Whatsapp       Share on Twitter

1 answers

0 vote
Answered by on | Votes 0 |

Answer:

1. A 2-D hexagonal close-packing contains two types of triangular voids (a and b) as shown in figure 1. Let us call this 2-D structure as layer A. Now, particles are kept in the voids present in layer A (it can be easily observed from figures 2 and 3 that only one of the voids will be occupied in the process, i.e., either a or b). Let us call the particles or spheres present in the voids of layer A as layer B. Now, two types of voids are present in layer B (c and d). Unlike the voids present in layer A, the two types of voids present in layer B are not similar. Void c is surrounded by 4 spheres and is called the tetrahedral void. Void d is surrounded by 6 spheres and is called the octahedral void.

Join Telegram Group

Answer This Question

Name:
Email:
Answer :
Sum of (4+3)
Submit: