ExamCompetition Forum Question Papers Ask A Question Mock Test Learn & Earn Sign Up Login Menu

0 vote

In the following sentence, a part of the sentence is underlined. Below are given alternatives to the underlined part, which may improve the sentence. Choose the correct alternative. In case no improvement is needed, choose the alternative that indicates 'No improvement.' How then could I avoid my Destiny, that has decried that I should love and hate just as you do? A. have decried that I must B. has decreed that I must C. has decried that I shall

Asked on by | Votes 0 | Views: 26 | Tags: grammar     | english comprehension     | Add Bounty

In the following sentence, a part of the sentence is underlined. Below are given alternatives to the underlined part, which may improve the sentence. Choose the correct alternative. In case no improvement is needed, choose the alternative that indicates 'No improvement.'

How then could I avoid my Destiny, that has decried that I should love and hate just as you do?

A. have decried that I must

B. has decreed that I must

C. has decried that I shall

1). Only A
2). Only B
3). Both A and C
4). Both B and C

Share on Facebook      Share on Whatsapp       Share on Twitter

1 answers

1 vote
Answered by on | Votes 1 |

The sentence uses the verb 'to decry', which means publicly denouncing something. e.g. The protesting men decried human rights violations.

This is incorrect, given the context of the sentence. The sentence uses the word 'destiny', indicating that the verb must mean 'announce or make compulsory' or declared and not 'denounce', which has a negative meaning.

The correct verb here must be 'to decree', which means to publicly announce or mandate or order something. e.g. The court has decreed that use of plastic shall be banned.  

So, the options A and C that use the verb 'to decry' are incorrect. Only option B that uses the verb 'to decree' can improve the sentence.

Therefore, the correct answer is option 2.

Join Telegram Group

Answer This Question

Name:
Email:
Answer :
Sum of (4+5)
Submit:

Other Questions

1. - Increase in the price of a competing product will lead to:

2. What is the synonym of word .Liability

3. In the following sentence, a part of the sentence is underlined. Below are given alternatives to the underlined part, which may improve the sentence. Choose the correct alternative. In case no improvement is needed, choose the option ‘No improvement’. And yet, it seems to me, this is the beginning of our recognition of the Divine. A. Seemingly to me B. Seemed to me C. Seemed in me

4. Directions: Read the passage given below and then answer the questions given below the passage. Some words may be highlighted for your attention. Pay careful attention. The constitution of the Roman Republic was a set of guidelines and principles by which the Roman Republic was governed. The consti

5. The treasure was hidden ............a big shore.

6. In the following question, out of the four alternatives, choose the one which best expresses the meaning of the given word. Efficient

7. Which of the phrases at a, b, c and d. given below should replace the phrase given in bold in the following sentence to make the sentence grammatically meaningful and correct If the sentence is correct as it is and ?No correction is required?, mar* e: as the answer

8. What is the synonym of word .Peculiar

9. In this question, a part of the sentence is given in bold. Below are given alternatives to the bold part at 1, 2 and 3 which may improve the sentence.Choose the correct alternative. In case no improvement is needed your answer is (4).My father lives on Delhi.

10. What is the correct alternative of - Read properly lest you do not fail .