ExamCompetition Forum Question Papers Ask A Question Mock Test Learn & Earn Sign Up Login Menu

0 vote

In the following question, a sentence has been given in Direct/Indirect speech. Out of the four alternatives suggested, select the one which best expresses the same sentence in Indirect/Direct speech.  James said, ‘Amanda, I will return the book after I have read it.’

Asked on by | Votes 0 | Views: 33 | Tags: direct and indirect speech     | english comprehension     | Add Bounty

In the following question, a sentence has been given in Direct/Indirect speech. Out of the four alternatives suggested, select the one which best expresses the same sentence in Indirect/Direct speech. 

James said, ‘Amanda, I will return the book after I have read it.’
1).

James said to Amanda that he will return the book after reading it.

2). James said to Amanda that he would return the book after he has read it.
3).

James said to Amanda that he will return the book he reads it. 

4).

James said to Amanda that he would return the book after he had read it.

Share on Facebook      Share on Whatsapp       Share on Twitter

1 answers

1 vote
Answered by on | Votes 1 |

Correct Answer: James said to Amanda that he would return the book after he had read it.

All the sentences except Sentence 4 have incorrect usage of tense. Sentences 1 and 3 do not change ‘will’ to ‘would’ and Sentence 2 does not change ‘have’ to ‘has’. Only Sentence 4 is correct.

Join Telegram Group

Answer This Question

Name:
Email:
Answer :
Sum of (4+4)
Submit:

Other Questions

1. What is the correct alternative of - Each Tuesday evening we visit the farmers in the area and held a meeting to discuss the problems they faced.

2. In the following question, one part of the sentence may have an error. Find out which part of the sentence has an error and click the option corresponding to it. If the sentence is free from error, click the 'No error' option. He assured his (1)/ parents of sending (2)/ few money every month. (3)/ No error (4)

3. In the following question, out of the four alternatives, choose the word which best expresses the meaning of the given word and click the button corresponding to it. Confident

4. In this question, a part of the sentence is given in bold. Below are given alternatives to the bold part at 1, 2 and 3 which may improve the sentence.Choose the correct alternative. In case no improvement is needed your answer is (4).Marconi assembled the radio.

5. Improve the bracketed part of the sentence. The Chairman (send in) all the right signals and we can only hope that his trip will result in rich dividends.

6. Rearrange the following six sentences (A), (B), (C), (D), (E) and (F) in the proper sequence so as to form a meaningful paragraph, and then answer the questions given below :(A) Competitiveness is being restored. Greece has enjoyed a bumper tourist season. This year should see the first GDP growth a

7. China is a big country, in area it is bigger than any other country ............ Russia.

8. The sentences given with blanks are to be filled with an appropriate word(s). Four alternatives are suggested for each question. For each question, choose the correct alternative and click the button corresponding to it.They abandoned their comrades __________ the wolves.

9. Read each sentence to find out whether there is any grammatical error in it. The en-or, if any, will be in one part of the sentence. The number of that part is the answer. If there is no error, the answer is e: i.e. ?No Error. (Ignore the errors of punctuation, if any).

10. ​In the following question, an idiomatic expression or proverb is highlighted. Select the alternative that best describes its use in the sentence.  We will have to make do with Prakash in our team, even though he rarely shows up for class.