ExamCompetition Forum Question Papers Ask A Question Mock Test Learn & Earn Sign Up Login Menu

0 vote

Read the following passage carefully and answer the questions given below. This may have gone largely unnoticed, but amongst the various measures the government is planning to introduce to keep a tab on its citizens, the newest is a chip in our TV set-top boxes. The Ministry of Information and

Asked on by | Votes 0 | Views: 28 | Tags: reading comprehension     | english comprehension     | Add Bounty

Read the following passage carefully and answer the questions given below.

This may have gone largely unnoticed, but amongst the various measures the government is planning to introduce to keep a tab on its citizens, the newest is a chip in our TV set-top boxes. The Ministry of Information and Broadcasting wrote a letter on March 12 to the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) in which it said that all Direct To Home (DTH) operators should be asked to install a chip in the new set-top boxes which can give data about channels watched by the viewers and their duration. TRAI took the view that this was not part of the earlier reference by the ministry and since it was a new issue, the ministry must officially ask for TRAI's recommendation again. The ministry has not yet responded to this communication of the TRAI. At present, Television Rating Points (TRPs) are measured by the Broadcast Audience Research Council (BARC). It is an industry body jointly owned by various private agencies like the Indian Broadcasting Foundation and the Advertising Agency Association of India. BARC has a select list of 33,000 households across the country. The households are further classified into 12 categories based on their social and economic status. The households voluntarily give information on the channels and the shows watched by them. This is done by pressing a viewer ID button which captures information about the channel and the program. It is then analysed for registering viewership habits across age and socio-economic groups. This then offers data for the consideration of advertisers and other agencies to make an informed choice. The ministry now feels that the information collected by BARC is not an accurate assessment of viewers' choice and therefore a more accurate method like installing a chip in the set-top boxes is called for. It should also be noted that a series of broadcasters have complained formally to BARC about the system being easily rigged and manipulated. Some arrests have been made for those involved with tampering with meters. But for this to be accurate, each set-top box will require to be fitted with a unique identifier, and this is where the catch is. Suppose I have a TV set in my bedroom, apart from my living room, and I watch programs on it regularly - the government's chip will enable it to enter not only my living room but also my bedroom and collect information on not only my viewership preferences but also, on God alone knows, what. The citizen will be under the constant watch of the government and privacy will be its first casualty. Recent data leaks have strongly brought up the issue of privacy and data sharing. The Supreme Court has also upheld as sacrosanct the right to privacy. In today's day and age, data is power and whoever has access to data is king. The moot question is whether data about me has been collected and is being shared with my consent or without it. If it is being shared or sold without my consent, then it is a gross violation of my right to privacy. If the data is being shared for commercial purposes without my consent, it is wrong and should not be allowed by law. If a political party uses my data to influence my choice in elections, then it is downright criminal and must be made punishable in law. It is compounded further if the party in power acquires a monopoly over it. Let us not forget that it is in the nature of state authority to be intrusive and curtail the right to privacy of its citizens. This has been happening over the ages. Strong democratic movements in various parts of the world have put checks and balances on the right of the state to invade the privacy of its citizens. But the struggle goes on.

Which of following words is similar in meaning to the word ''intrusive''? 
1). Reclusive
2). Invasive
3). Reticent
4). Intuitive

Share on Facebook      Share on Whatsapp       Share on Twitter

1 answers

3 vote
Answered by on | Votes 3 |

The word intrusive means 'causing disruption or annoyance through being unwelcome or uninvited.'' This is exactly what the word 'invasive' mean. So they can be considered synonyms. So option 2 is correct.$

Reclusive and reticent mean the same ''avoiding th company of others and unwilling to share one's thoughts.''$

Intuitive means Perceptive whereas Inquisitive means 'investigative.'  $

Join Telegram Group

Answer This Question

Name:
Email:
Answer :
Sum of (5+1)
Submit:

Other Questions

1. What is the synonym of word .Catastrophe

2. Select the antonym of taciturn

3. In the following question, a sentence is given with three words in bold. Replace the word if needed or else choose option 5 if no correction is required. Last week’s Supreme Court judgment pilfering the validity of the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code 2016 (IBC) in its “entirety” could have a major subsistence on the country’s economic democracy. Pilfering – upholding Subsistence – impact Democracy – landscape

4. Rearrange the following sentence (A),(B),(C),(D),(E) and (F) to make a meaningful paragraph and then answer the question which follow:(A)While these disadvantages of biofuels are serious they are the only alternate energy source of the future and the sooner we find solutions to these problems the fa

5. Find out which part of a sentence has an error.

(A) Hardly had he /(B) come out of the bus /(C) then the bomb exploded /(D) and shattered the bus into pieces./(E) No Error.

6. In the following questions, a sentence with four words in bold type is given. One of these four words given in bold may be either wrongly spelt or inappropriate in the context of the sentence. Find out the word which is wrongly spelt or inappropriate, if any. That word is your answer. If all the words given in bold are correctly spelt and also appropriate in the context of the sentence, mark ?All correct? as your answer.

7. In the given passage there are blanks, each of which has been numbered. Against each, five words are suggested one of which fits the blank appropriately. Find out the appropriate word in each case.Trust is the basic tenet for all relationships, so building an environment of trust is one of the (71)

8. A passage is given with 5 questions following it. Read the passage carefully and choose the best answer to each question out of the four alternatives and click the button corresponding to it.In the world today we make health an end in itself. We have forgotten that health really means to enable a pe

9. In the following passage, there are blanks each of which has been numbered. These numbers are printed below the passage and against each,five word are suggested one of which fits the blank appropriately. Find out the appropriate word in each case.Day dreaming is often overlooked as a proper dream an

10. The sentences given with blanks are to be filled with an appropriate word(s). Four alternatives are suggested for each question. For each question, choose the correct alternative and click the button corresponding to it. The train is expected to arrive in a few minutes _____ platform six.