ExamCompetition Forum Question Papers Ask A Question Mock Test Learn & Earn Sign Up Login Menu

0 vote

In the following sentence, a part of the sentence is underlined. Below are given alternatives to the underlined part, which may improve the sentence. Choose the correct alternative. In case no improvement is needed, choose the alternative that indicates 'No improvement.' Hardly has the doorkeeper gone out when the doorbell rang again mysteriously. A. As soon as the B. No sooner had the  C. Hardly had the

Asked on by | Votes 0 | Views: 25 | Tags: grammar     | english comprehension     | Add Bounty

In the following sentence, a part of the sentence is underlined. Below are given alternatives to the underlined part, which may improve the sentence. Choose the correct alternative. In case no improvement is needed, choose the alternative that indicates 'No improvement.'

Hardly has the doorkeeper gone out when the doorbell rang again mysteriously.

A. As soon as the

B. No sooner had the 

C. Hardly had the

1). Only A
2). Only B
3). Only C
4). Both B and C

Share on Facebook      Share on Whatsapp       Share on Twitter

1 answers

3 vote
Answered by on | Votes 3 |

The sentence uses conjunction phrases that show activities happening immediately after one another. The correct phrases are: 

As soon as e.g. As soon as I heard the bell, I went out.

No sooner..than. e.g. No sooner did the bell ring than I went out.

Hardly had..when e.g. Hardly had the bell rung when I went out.

This suggests that only C shows the correct form and improves the sentence.

Therefore, the correct answer is option 3.

Join Telegram Group

Answer This Question

Name:
Email:
Answer :
Sum of (2+2)
Submit:

Other Questions

1. A majority of Indians prefer to use internet for accessing banking and other financial services than shopping online, show a new survey. Almost 57% of Indians respondents using the internet prefer to bank online and use other financial services due to hassle-free access and time saving feature of o

2. Find out which part of a sentence has an error.When I was passing through the forest (1)/ I happened to see (2)/ a number of deers.(3)/ No error (4).

3. Pick out the most effective word from the given words to fill in the blank to make the sentence meaningfully complete.Successfull people are genuinely v ery efficient in _____ their tasks.

4. Rearrange the following five sentences (A), (B), (C), (D), and (E) in the proper sequence to form a meaningful paragraph; then answer the questions given below them.(A) With so many products and opportunities available in t I lc market. It is very easy to get this planning wrong.(B) Planning, theref

5. What is the antonym or opposite of word Lament

6. In the following question, a sentence has been given in Direct/Indirect speech. Out of the four alternatives suggested, select the one which best expresses the same sentence in Indirect/Direct speech. The officer said, "I am very busy now".

7. In the following question, some part of the sentence may have errors. Find out which part of the sentence has an error and select the appropriate option. If a sentence is free from error, select 'No Error'.We are pleased that(A)/our daughter is married with(B)/such a nice man.(C)/No error(D)

8. Read the following passage carefully and choose the most appropriate answer to the question out of the five alternatives. Facebook’s data policy has come under fire after it emerged that more than 50 million users’ information was open to political exploitation. Facebook announced on We

9. Read the following passage carefully and answer these question. Certain words/phrase have been printed in bold to help you locate them while answering some of the question.Over the last three centuries, the world economy has evolved from a predominantly agriculture-based system to a digital economic

10. Which of the phrases (a), (b), (c) and (d) given below each sentence should replace the phrase printed in bold in the sentence to make it grammatically correct? If the sentence is correct as it is given and no correction is required?, mark (e) as the answer.