ExamCompetition Forum Question Papers Ask A Question Mock Test Learn & Earn Sign Up Login Menu

0 vote

In the passage given below, there are 10 blanks, each followed by a word given in bold. Each blank has four alternative words given in options (1), (2), (3) and (4). You have to tell which word will best suit the respective blank. Mark (5) as your answer if the word giv

Asked on by | Votes 0 | Views: 23 | Tags: vocabulary     | english comprehension     | Add Bounty

In the passage given below, there are 10 blanks, each followed by a word given in bold. Each blank has four alternative words given in options (1), (2), (3) and (4). You have to tell which word will best suit the respective blank. Mark (5) as your answer if the word given in bold after the blank is your answer i.e No change is required. 

Nepotism is a delicate issue. How can parents not use all of their resources to ensure that their children ___(A)___ (succeed)? Is giving your relative a head start a scandalous violation of our society's conventions? Isn't blood thicker than water (or money)? On the other hand, don't we ___(B)___ (belong) to a free country that gives everybody an equal opportunity? Do you wish to be ___(C)___ (pass) over for a promotion by the unqualified niece of your boss's company? Does relation outweigh merit? Nepotism is a universal trait of living things and used with ethics it can lead to success for generations, but used ___(D)___ (improper), it has the capability to lead to corruption. Nepotism, a practice that has ___(E)___ (exist) as long as mankind, permeates our society, from business to politics.

The word 'Nepotism', ___(F)___ (originate) from the Italian word 'nepotismo', comes from the 14th century when Popes would often ___(G)___ (promote) their nephews (illegitimate children) to high ranking positions in the church or military. The subject can be looked at from two distinctively different viewpoints. The pro-nepotism side would consider nepotism as, "the practice of ___(H)___ (show) favour to family members, a time-honoured tradition in many small businesses and in quite a few larger ones, too. From the small-town hardware store to the car dealership to some of America's ___(I)___ (large) media empires, the son or daughter, grandson or granddaughter of the founder holds the reins. Less precisely, nepotism has come to mean gaining opportunity because of one's family connections". It could also be ___(J)___ (describe) as 'patronage within the family circle, thus a natural way for anybody in power, or aspiring to it, to strengthen his or her support in a society'.

Which of the following words most appropriately fits the blank labelled (E)?
1). Existed
2). Exists
3). Been existing
4). To exist

Share on Facebook      Share on Whatsapp       Share on Twitter

1 answers

0 vote
Answered by on | Votes 0 |

The given is in the present tense and talks about the existence of nepotism till date.

This means that nepotism has till now 'existed' and is still doing so.

Hence, the correct answer will be the third option and the sentence will become as:

Nepotism, a practice that has been existing $as long as mankind, permeates our society, from business to politics.$

Join Telegram Group

Answer This Question

Name:
Email:
Answer :
Sum of (4+3)
Submit:

Other Questions

1. Read the following passage carefully and choose the most appropriate answer to the question out of the four alternatives. There is much to be said for the enlightened and systematic despotism of the utilitarian bureaucrats who built the British raj in this period. They brought peace, much developme

2. Pick out the most effective word from the given words to fill in the blank to make the sentence meaningfully complete.If you come across my umbrella anywhere, bring it to me, ______ ?

3. Below are a group of sentences which are jumbled up. A part of the first and last sentences are given and cannot be changed. Sentences 1 and 7 are missing a vital part which has to be found from A, B, C, D, and E. 1. _________________________ when they first found that newborns had the capability t

4. Read the following passage and answer the questions carefully. Paragraph 1: The economic progress of a nation and the development of its banking sector is invariably interrelated. The banking sector is an indispensable financial service sector supporting development plans through channelising

5. A passage is given with 5 questions following it. Read the passage carefully and choose the best answer to each My brother, David, was always close to our grandmother. Both of them shared a love of Mother Nature and of food that they had grown themselves. Whenever his schedule permitted, he would dr

6. A sentence/a part of the sentence is underlined. Four alternatives are given to the underlined part which will improve the sentence. Choose the correct alternative and click the button corresponding to it. In case no improvement is needed, click the button corresponding to "No improvement".I am sorry but I will not believe the story you have told me

7. Read this sentence to find out whether there is any grammatical error in it. The error, if any, will be one part of the sentence. Mark the part with the error as your answer. If there is no error, mark 'No error' as your answer. (Ignore the errors of punctuation, if any)

8. Improve the bracketed part of the sentence. Yasmin wanted to have her own say in the (home-related) affairs.

9. The following sentences form a paragraph. The second and the fifth sentences of the paragraph are given. The rest of the sentences are numbered as P, Q, R, S and T. These five parts are not given in their proper order. Read the sentences and rearrange them to form a meaningful paragraph then answer

10. Read the passage given below and then answer the questions given below the passage. The country’s higher education system should be “re-imagined and reconstructed” if we want to tap the potential of our burgeoning young population and make India the skill capital of the world, vic