ExamCompetition Forum Question Papers Ask A Question Mock Test Learn & Earn Sign Up Login Menu

0 vote

In the following question, out of the four alternatives, select the alternative which best expresses the meaning of the idiom/phrase.Rule of thumb

Asked on by | Votes 0 | Views: 31 | Tags: idioms and phrases     | english comprehension     | ssc chsl tier 1 16th january 2017 shift 2     | ssc chsl tier 1 2016     | ssc chsl 2016     | ssc chsl     | Add Bounty

In the following question, out of the four alternatives, select the alternative which best expresses the meaning of the idiom/phrase.
Rule of thumb
1). A rough unit of measure for small lengths
2). A broadly accurate guide based on practice
3). To force someone to work against his wish
4). To use your power to ensure discipline

Share on Facebook      Share on Whatsapp       Share on Twitter

1 answers

0 vote
Answered by on | Votes 0 |
This question was asked some where in previous year papers of ssc, and correct answer was option 2

Join Telegram Group

Answer This Question

Name:
Email:
Answer :
Sum of (3+1)
Submit:

Other Questions

1. In the question below, a part of the sentence is underlined. Below are given alternatives to the underlined part which may improve the sentence. Choose the correct alternative. In case no improvement is needed, choose "No improvement." I tried not hold any grudge against her for so reserved.

2. Improve the bracketed part of the sentence.Look at this video clip in which (I, my friend and you) are enjoying a boat ride.

3. Read the following passage carefully and answer the questions given below it. Certain words are printed in bold to help you to locate them while answering some of the questions.They yearly festival was close at hand: The store room was packed with silk fabrics, gold ornaments, clay bowls full of swe

4. In the following question, sentence given with blank is to be filled in with an appropriate word. Select the correct alternative out of the four and indicate it by selecting the appropriate option.In India, Hindi is the most ___________ spoken language.

5. In this question, a part of the sentence is given in bold. Below are given alternatives to the bold part at 1, 2 and 3 which may improve the sentence.Choose the correct alternative. In case no improvement is needed your answer is (4).After we ate a spectacular ninecourse dinner, three television shows were watched by us.

6. What is the active/passive of - Do not inform the police about the robbery.

7. In the following question, a sentence has been given in Direct/Indirect speech. Out of the four alternatives suggested, select the one which best expresses the same sentence in Indirect/Direct speech. The lady said to Preeta,"I want you to participate in the competition."

8. Which of the phrases a),b),c)and d) given below each sentence should replace the phrase printed in bold in the sentence to make grammatically correct ?If the sentence is correct as it is given and no correction is required mark e) as the answer.

9. There is one great disadvantage to the village John lives. A main road runs right it. This road carries lot of traffic and at night the noise of it does not altogether stop. In fact, some people in the village complain that they were often to sleep because of the roar of the trucks. John is-----than some of the villagers as he does not live on the main road.

10. In the following questions two sentences (i) and (ii) are given. Each sentence (i) and (ii) has a blank in it. Against each five options are suggested out of these, only one fits at both places in the context of each sentence. Mark that as your answer.