ExamCompetition Forum Question Papers Ask A Question Mock Test Learn & Earn Sign Up Login Menu

0 vote

Determine the value of x2 + y2 when x3 - y3 = 54, x - y = 18 and xy = 2

Asked on by | Votes 0 | Views: 422 | Tags: algebra     | quantitative aptitude     | Add Bounty

Determine the value of x2 + y2 when x3 - y3 = 54, x - y = 18 and xy = 2
1). 0
2). 1
3). 2
4). 3

Share on Facebook      Share on Whatsapp       Share on Twitter

1 answers

0 vote
Answered by on | Votes 0 |

Given, x3 - y3 = 54, x - y = 18 & xy = 2

As we know, x3 - y3 = (x - y) (x2 + y2 + xy)

⇒ 54 = 18 × (x2 + y2 + 2)

⇒ 3 = x2 + y2 + 2

∴ x2 + y2 = 1

Join Telegram Group

Answer This Question

Name:
Email:
Answer :
Sum of (2+5)
Submit:

Other Questions

1. Directions: In the following questions two equations numbered I and II are given. You have to solve both the equations and give the answer: I. ∛x = 3 II. y2 - 729 = 0

2. The value of \(\frac{1}{{{a^2} + ax + {x^2}}} - \frac{1}{{{a^2} - ax + {x^2}}} + \frac{{2ax}}{{{a^4} + {a^2}{x^2} + {x^4}}}\) is

3. If $\frac{x}{y}$ = $\frac{4}{9}$, then what is the value of $\frac{(7x^{2} - 19xy + 11y^{2})}{y^{2}}$?

4. The sum of the ages of a father and son is 38 years. Four years ago, the product of their ages was 3 times the father’s age at that time. The present ages of the father and son, respectively are

5. Let O be the in-centre of a triangle ABC and D be a point on the side BC of $\triangle ABC$, such that $OD\bot BC$. If $\angle BOD$ = $15^{0}$, then $\angle ABC$ =

6. In the given question, two equations numbered l and II are given. You have to solve both the equations and mark the appropriate answer. I. a2 + 4a = 0 II. b2 + 9b + 20 = 0

7. If $\left(\frac{x}{y}\right)^{a-4}$ = $\left(\frac{y}{x}\right)^{2a-5} $, then what is the relation between x and y?

8. The average of X and Y is 23 and that of Y and Z is 32. If the sum (X + Y + Z) is 5 times the number X, find the numbers X, Y and Z.

9. Directions: In the following questions, two equations numbered I and II are given. You have to solve both the equations and then give the answer. I. (x - 18)2 = 0 II. y2 = 324

10. I take a book from a library containing 378 pages to be returned in a week’s time. If I can read 14 pages an hour for three hours daily, for how long should it be renewed so that the book can be fully read?