ExamCompetition Forum Question Papers Ask A Question Mock Test Learn & Earn Sign Up Login Menu

0 vote

In each question given below a sentence is given and is divided into three parts I, II and III. For each part a correction statement is also given. You have to determine which part requires correction and mark it as your answer. Scientists from Project MIDAS, / an U.K.-based Antarctic research

Asked on by | Votes 0 | Views: 22 | Tags: grammar     | english comprehension     | Add Bounty

In each question given below a sentence is given and is divided into three parts I, II and III. For each part a correction statement is also given. You have to determine which part requires correction and mark it as your answer.

Scientists from Project MIDAS, / an U.K.-based Antarctic research project that has been looking at the ice shelf for many years, / had said the formation of icebergs is natural, and no link to human-induced climate change was available in this case.

I. Scientists of Project MIDAS,

II. A U.K.-based Antarctic research project that has been looking at the ice shelf for many years,

III. Have said the formation of icebergs is natural, and no link to human-induced climate change was available in this case.

1). Only I 
2). Both I and III
3). Both II and III
4). Both I and II

Share on Facebook      Share on Whatsapp       Share on Twitter

1 answers

0 vote
Answered by on | Votes 0 |
There are two errors which are corrected in II and III.  The first error is in part II wherein the usage of wrong ‘an’ before U.K. The rule of article usage states that “a” should be used before words that begin with consonants (e.g., b, c ,d) while “an” should be used before words that begin with vowels (e.g., a,e,i). However, the usage is determined by the pronunciation and not by the spelling. So here the correct article to be used before U.K is ‘a’ because the pronunciation begins with “yu”, which is a consonant sound. The error in the second part lies in part III in tense usage. The given sentence is in present continuous tense so it should be 'have said' instead of ‘had said’ to eradicate the error.

Join Telegram Group

Answer This Question

Name:
Email:
Answer :
Sum of (3+3)
Submit:

Other Questions

1. In the following sentence a part of the sentence is underlined. Choose the phrase which can be used to replace the underlined phrase. If there is no error in the phrase choose 'No improvement' as your answer. The committee of secretaries holds their first meeting last week but we do not have any news yet.

2. (1) Agriculture (P) cotton for our clothes (Q) raw materials like jute (R) and sugarcane for our industries (S) gives us food (6) and food for cattle

3. What is the correct alternative of - The fact finding committee has so far not made any advancement in Asharam's rape case.

4. Rearrange the give a six sentences/ group of sentences (A), (B), (C), (D), (E) and (F) in a proper sequence so as to form a meaningful paragraph and then answer the given questions.(A) Initiatives by Japan and the European Union over the past two years depressed the yen and euro earlier.(B) The risi

5. In the following passage there are blanks, each of which has been numbered. These numbers are printed below the passage and against each, ve words/phrases are suggested, one of which ts the blank appropriately. Find out the appropriate word/ phrase in each case.The barter system for getting goods an

6. Rearrange the parts of the sentence in correct order.A dissent in a courtP-the intelligence of a future dayQ-to the brooding spirit of law, toR-of last resort is an appeal

7. Read the passage given below and answer the given questions. Some words may be highlighted for your attention. Pay careful attention. India is ranked the eighth most valuable nation brand while the United States retained its top position and China took the second spot in the League of Nations accor

8. In the following question, sentence given with blank is to be filled in with an appropriate word. Select the correct alternative out of the four and indicate it by selecting the appropriate option. Even many setbacks in his endeavours never made him falter in his _______.

9. What is the synonym of word KNACK

10. In the following question, a sentence has been given in Active/Passive voice. Out of the four alternatives suggested, select the one which best expresses the same sentence in Passive/Active voice. No one responded to my online ad.